B5 S4 massive exhaust smoke when off throttle and idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:20 AM
2nd Gear

i didnt get much oil in my intercoolers or y-pipe when my k03's went. i still think its a blown turbo.

replace the spider hose (pcv) or install a catch can and see what happens. worse case scenario it doesnt stop the smoke and you still have to pull the engine. At least you'll have a new spider hose, which should be replaced anyway by this time.

Also check and see if you can hear a "dentist drill" sound coming from either turbo. sure sign of failure.

Last edited by FonzoB5S4; 08-12-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 AM
1st Gear

Haven't heard that drilling sound yet. Going to order the spider hose and hope that does it. There are still some things that in my mind don't point to a turbo. The smoke doesn't come out when throttling but instead when letting off the throttle. And there's always willful ignorance. Lol. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can afford BG ko4s, let alone the engine pull. Thanks for your input. Lots of people reading and not helping. Yours is appreciated.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM
2nd Gear

the one place i did find oil, when my k03's went, was on the skid plate. remove the plastic skid plate under the front of the car. mine was covered in oil.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FonzoB5S4
the one place i did find oil, when my k03's went, was on the skid plate. remove the plastic skid plate under the front of the car. mine was covered in oil.
thats been removed since the last time. ive been doing so much to it that i didnt see the sense in putting it back on.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:05 AM
2nd Gear

just thought of something.....

could this be an over fueling issue? i've run k04's on a stock tune before and the car ran slightly rich. never smoked, but with the addition of the catless dp's to this equation maybe they pushed you over the "fueling edge" and now your ecu is dumping fuel to make up for these things.

its a long shot but maybe swap in an ecu that is tuned for catless dps and k04's(stage3-) or swap back your stock dps and see what happens.

fingers crossed!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

I just had that same suggestion on audizine. I think that could be a good possibility. I unplugged the pancake valve and drove it but that didn't help any. That valve looks clean and I did the oil cap test. Pulled it when the car was running and it didn't stick at all. So I'm starting to think the pcv is good. These turbos are pretty new but of course there not BWs and they could be pooped by now. I guess. I never did get the tune. Was going with unitronics, I think we were going to be able to 2+ or 3- it with my setup. I'm gonna call the shop that was gonna do the work and see what he says. Thanks for your help. Don't want to throw money at something that could've been spent on the real problem. Ie. tune

Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

eliminated the PCV system yesterday, that wasnt the issue. Gladly didnt throw money into it. Layed on the gas at a steady 2K and it started pouring out white smoke after a minute. TURBOS!!!! or one turbo. Next step is determining which one and pulling it out. Sounds easy enough right? going to do the job with my brother to save on the labor costs of $1500. Ill be back with updates. wish i had the money for BW's

Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear

bummer. just buy some used k03's for now and sell the warrantied k04's. a cheap way to get BW K04's is to buy a pair of blown ones and a new pair of CHRAs. They pop up on the audizine classifieds pretty often.

here are some links that will help with the engine pull.

http://audidatabase.net/Files/B5S4EngineRemoval.pdf

AudiWorld Tech Articles

Audi S4 Engine Removal Highlights... on Vimeo

Car **** Inside

AudiDIY (Do It Yourself) Article Portal

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FonzoB5S4
bummer. just buy some used k03's for now and sell the warrantied k04's. a cheap way to get BW K04's is to buy a pair of blown ones and a new pair of CHRAs. They pop up on the audizine classifieds pretty often.

here are some links that will help with the engine pull.

http://audidatabase.net/Files/B5S4EngineRemoval.pdf

AudiWorld Tech Articles

Audi S4 Engine Removal Highlights... on Vimeo

Car **** Inside

AudiDIY (Do It Yourself) Article Portal
Thank you man. I dont even have the stock inlets anymore so i dont think downgrading is an option. not like i would downgrade anyway. Pulling some major OT at work the next few weeks. That should make this a little easier. Def thinking about selling the knock offs to recoup some money and doing what you said, with getting some rebuilts or rebuild them myself. Not sure how that goes but the big boy pants are on now and they aint coming off until this car is enjoyable, for once.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

hey that video is a classic. looks like im going back to the future.

Quick Reply: B5 S4 massive exhaust smoke when off throttle and idle