B5 S4 massive exhaust smoke when off throttle and idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Sponsor

Have you noticed your oil level dropping? If not it could just be residual oil burning up since you replaced your old turbos. Does your car have cats? Deleting the cats will cause cars to smoke more than usual if they leak a bit of oil.

Jason

Old 08-19-2013, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

he's running catless dps and swapped turbos 8k miles ago. would it still be burning off excess oil?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

Straight back from the turbos. Don't think it would smoke this much though. Def going to need either a resonator or muffler because it sounds like ****. That's not priority though

Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by FonzoB5S4
he's running catless dps and swapped turbos 8k miles ago. would it still be burning off excess oil?
It could definitely be oil still burning off. All that oil in the intercooler piping has to go somewhere. Under vacuum is the highest chance for oil to be pulled into the motor.

And the fact that its cat-less the little bit of excess oil doesn't get burnt up in the cats. So you get more smoke.

Jason

Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
It could definitely be oil still burning off. All that oil in the intercooler piping has to go somewhere. Under vacuum is the highest chance for oil to be pulled into the motor.

And the fact that its cat-less the little bit of excess oil doesn't get burnt up in the cats. So you get more smoke.

Jason
I am losing some oil. The turbos like Fonzo said were replaced 8K miles ago and i have only had smoking sparingly and more recently. Theres no doubt that once the cats, resonator and before and after the muffler was removed, the smoking has been unbearably worse. I put about 200 miles on the car since then and its smokes just as much as ever. I have ran some more testing on the car and revving at a stand still, steadily, produced thick plumes of smoke. This si def. NOT an oil burning off situation, although I wish it were. This is more like a turbo seal, blown turbo type of situation and it kills me to say that, but reality is what it is. Maybe there was/is something that helped cause that? Im not sure until i pull them out and take a look. Could it be replica turbos blown at 8K? Maybe. Without a proper tune and proper DP's for most of that 8K, that is possible. Is this what i get for using replicas? probably!! Im just hoping i can resolve this issue asap and cost effectively. Many other things i need to spend my time and money on!!!
I should also mention, i just replaced a leaking pass. side valve cover gasket/cam plug. Can that have something to do with this overall issue? are they linked in anyway? Hasnt leaked again since then a few weeks back.

I dont think there any way around me pulling this motor, regardless of the outcome or ultimate problem.

Thank you for your help guys. Ill keep in touch, im sure with motor pull/replace questions. lol.

Godspeed

4 Liberty

PS: Happy Birthday Ron Paul!!!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Sponsor

I can't say that I am surprised the turbos would be blown after 8k miles especially when using aftermarket.

Most are fine and stock boost levels but once you turn them up that's when seals like to below and bellow out plums of bluish white smoke.

Unfortunately I think your only option is to pull the motor and get something else in there.

I've always said "Buy nice or buy twice" when it comes to modifying Audi's.

Good luck!

Jason

Old 08-21-2013, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
"Buy nice or buy twice"

Jason
Words to live by and unfortunately go broke by.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM
3rd Gear

Well if it makes you feel better I had replaced both my turbos last year with BW oem replacements and while the shop performing the work was out for testing the drivers side blew, less than 40 miles on it. The kicker? I sent it back to BW for warranty and they denied it despite being prefessionally installed per their requirement. I have a $1000 paper weight sitting on the bench in my garage. So even good turbos have issues

Old 11-09-2013, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

anybody want to hear an update??
Pulled the turbos and the shaft play was nutty in and out. Def. blown!!!
So i finally got the replacement turbos back into the car and YES i just used the same replica KO4's because i couldnt come up with the money for BW. oh well and I did the work myself so i didnt have to pay for labor. Primed the turbos, pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked a few times to run more oil through the system, started the beast up and it ran strong.
Then i start wondering where all that coolant is coming from.... hmmmm... turns out to be the HEATER CORE was literally broken open!! So i then tackle that job and my center console doesnt exactly snug up like it used to... lol... figures! But the heat is strong and there isnt coolant in my foot wells. What a pain in the *** that was. Had my brother make me a new exhaust because the chop job from the last place was really horrible. For arc welding is isnt all too bad, but its a true 3" all the way back, magnaflow straight through to dual Pypes square tips.
So i drive the car home a few nights later and Im still getting the same oil smelling ehxaust smoke. Not as bad volume wise as before but there is clearly either a lot of old oil blowing of the DPs or i have another issue. Rings? PCV? I never had a leak down or compression test done but I am thinking i'll need to. What do you guys think? Turbos have about 100 miles on them.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 AM
3rd Gear

Took most of the Summer to burn the all the oil out the exhaust when mine blew. If you're not hearing any noise or having other issues on throttle then I'd suspect that.

Quick Reply: B5 S4 massive exhaust smoke when off throttle and idle