Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

07 SRT8 vs 01 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 07 SRT8 vs 01 2.7T

ORIGINAL: scg87

You're telling me an A6 2.7T w/ just a chip will run 0-60 in 5.0 and 1/4 in 13 flat???? Man, I need one of those. It could take the place of my A4 and still outrun my Z.
Well the A6 is a bit heavier and if you did Piggies and chip, and you knwo how to drive you can get low 13's even high 12's mmmmm maybe. But an S4 can diffenatly do it, and the 0-60 is lower than that. its like 4.5-5.0 depending on the driver.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:49 AM
1st Gear

theres a guy on a different audi forumthat ran a 13.3 with a bolt on Giac X tip A6...i think an S4 stage 2 has a good chance against a SRT-8 given it was from a dig with equal drivers you have to be flawless to pull off low 13 sec numbers with an SRT-8 consistent low 13's in stage 2 S4's is the norm.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear

Flawless.......?? They're all autos, all you have to do is launch it well, then it's game over.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

stage 2 s4 will take an srt- 8, i dont even know why they came out with the srt-8 ....its still slow

Old 08-25-2007, 01:42 PM
SoCal Crew Member

i would make that charger sad

Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

I think the magazine times for that Charger SRT 8 are a decent reference, but can be beaten easily by a good driver. I would think low 13's should be easy in it, with 13.5 being with an average driver with an average to below average launch considering the trap speeds they have shown (106-108). My 2002 WS6 Trans Am ran 13.20's @ 107.5 bone stock (6 speed), while the best magazine time I ever saw was 13.5. With a $100 air lid and Borla exhaust (335 RWHP and 348 RWTQ), along with Nitto R2 R compound tires (that cut the 60 foot times into the 1.8's) it ran 12.80's on a hot night. I am very ignorant to the performance of the Audis and don't want underestimate them at all and am not trying to bag on them, just to point out that the SRT 8 may be faster than some think based on a couple magazine tests.It should be a beast from a roll with 425 HP and that Mercedes 5 Speed auto, and I think the 300C SRT 8 tops out at over 170, sothe Chargershould be similar in terms of top speed.

Oh yeah, and driver skill can make all of the difference in the world. I raced an older guy in a BMW Z8 in my Trans Am when I had it, and he should have smoked me. We ended up in a dead even race from a roll, with no one pulling on the other. I would guess he didn't know how to shift very quick (I was speed shifting like a mad man) and might not have been revving it out, or I overestimated it from the magazine times they reported on it. I also smoked my friend's C5 Corvette by about 3 car lengths from 30-100, but he had an automatic which didn't help his cause. About the only thing I miss about that Trans Am was the power and straight line speed, as the interior was cheap, the chassis was soft, and the handling only OK, but there is something intoxicating about going fast. At this stage in my life with a wife and a young kid I am much happier in my A4 thanI would be if I still had that Trans Am (though an RS6 would be nicer!).

Mike

Old 08-28-2007, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: gunmike1

I think the magazine times for that Charger SRT 8 are a decent reference, but can be beaten easily by a good driver. I would think low 13's should be easy in it, with 13.5 being with an average driver with an average to below average launch considering the trap speeds they have shown (106-108). My 2002 WS6 Trans Am ran 13.20's @ 107.5 bone stock (6 speed), while the best magazine time I ever saw was 13.5. With a $100 air lid and Borla exhaust (335 RWHP and 348 RWTQ), along with Nitto R2 R compound tires (that cut the 60 foot times into the 1.8's) it ran 12.80's on a hot night. I am very ignorant to the performance of the Audis and don't want underestimate them at all and am not trying to bag on them, just to point out that the SRT 8 may be faster than some think based on a couple magazine tests.It should be a beast from a roll with 425 HP and that Mercedes 5 Speed auto, and I think the 300C SRT 8 tops out at over 170, sothe Chargershould be similar in terms of top speed.

Oh yeah, and driver skill can make all of the difference in the world. I raced an older guy in a BMW Z8 in my Trans Am when I had it, and he should have smoked me. We ended up in a dead even race from a roll, with no one pulling on the other. I would guess he didn't know how to shift very quick (I was speed shifting like a mad man) and might not have been revving it out, or I overestimated it from the magazine times they reported on it. I also smoked my friend's C5 Corvette by about 3 car lengths from 30-100, but he had an automatic which didn't help his cause. About the only thing I miss about that Trans Am was the power and straight line speed, as the interior was cheap, the chassis was soft, and the handling only OK, but there is something intoxicating about going fast. At this stage in my life with a wife and a young kid I am much happier in my A4 thanI would be if I still had that Trans Am (though an RS6 would be nicer!).

Mike
Thats freakin tight dude, my brother has a 2001 trans am, its about to come out of the shop he put a 408 strocker thats going to push over 500 hp and a 300 shot of nos (direct port!), oh but as for a a6 taking a srt-8 umm hate to say it but no ive been in the chrystler, and that thing was fast, not likesilly fast but fast.

Andwill a chip do that freakin much to an 04 s4 cuse if it does i know what i want for christmas [sm=gears.gif]

Old 08-28-2007, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: S4RiddeR

Thats freakin tight dude, my brother has a 2001 trans am, its about to come out of the shop he put a 408 strocker thats going to push over 500 hp and a 300 shot of nos (direct port!), oh but as for a a6 taking a srt-8 umm hate to say it but no ive been in the chrystler, and that thing was fast, not likesilly fast but fast.

Andwill a chip do that freakin much to an 04 s4 cuse if it does i know what i want for christmas [sm=gears.gif]
That stroker should be wicked, my wife's grandfather has a C5 with a similar set up (I think he's around 440 RWHP), and set up for a supercharger in case he ever wants to throw it on. I hear that thing is really fast. I might get a chance to road race it, as my wife's grandfather wants someone to drive him around the track (He also has 14" Brembos all around with a fully modded suspension), and I will be more than happy to rip on it for him. I bet your brother's ride will break the tires loose well over 100 MPH with that 300 shot, that car really is going to need some drag radials to hook up.

After a little further reading Motor Trend said they went 13.1 @ 108 in a Magnum SRT 8, theCharger is lighter but the wagon probably gets better traction. Either way those things are pretty fast for a 4200 lb. plus ride. Themost surprizing ride I was in for speed vs. weight was a ML 63 Benz my brother took me for a ride in. Brake torque it up and let theAWD launch you, and the next thing you knowyour neck is straining as the 7 speed auto rips off lightning fast shifts at 7200 RPM. Not bad for a 5200 lbs. SUV. It felt like it was bottom 13's to high 12's, and the interior in that thingwas plush. The braking was alsoreally impressive, I think the front rotors are well over 15" on it with massive calipers. The$95K sticker was a bit steep for me, though!

Mike

Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: gunmike1

that stroker should be wicked, my wife's grandfather has a C5 with a similar set up (I think he's around 440 RWHP), and set up for a supercharger in case he ever wants to throw it on. I hear that thing is really fast. I might get a chance to road race it, as my wife's grandfather wants someone to drive him around the track (He also has 14" Brembos all around with a fully modded suspension), and I will be more than happy to rip on it for him. I bet your brother's ride will break the tires loose well over 100 MPH with that 300 shot, that car really is going to need some drag radials to hook up.

After a little further reading Motor Trend said they went 13.1 @ 108 in a Magnum SRT 8, theCharger is lighter but the wagon probably gets better traction. Either way those things are pretty fast for a 4200 lb. plus ride. Themost surprizing ride I was in for speed vs. weight was a ML 63 Benz my brother took me for a ride in. Brake torque it up and let theAWD launch you, and the next thing you knowyour neck is straining as the 7 speed auto rips off lightning fast shifts at 7200 RPM. Not bad for a 5200 lbs. SUV. It felt like it was bottom 13's to high 12's, and the interior in that thingwas plush. The braking was alsoreally impressive, I think the front rotors are well over 15" on it with massive calipers. The$95K sticker was a bit steep for me, though!

Mike
Those ML 63 are massive thier nice and wicked fast, my bro used to have an X5 4.8 and we used to think that that thing was fast for a truck, but that freakin 63 would kill him, thats awsome.
i bet that vet is freakin fast too, i bet thats a fun car to mess around in. im all for not lossing traction but sometimes its just fun to rip em loose

Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

Oh yeah, smoke shows are lots of fun! I could only wish I had a car as powerful as your brother's where I could be on the freeway and throw some smoke off the tires. However, when I was drag racing a lot, I was really wishing I had all wheel drive so that I could rev the engine to the moon and drop the clutch for a wickedly fast start (assuming I didn't grenade the drivetrain). With my bone stock Trans Am, I would go to about 2200 RPM's and do a fast clutch slip to launch, and that usually resulted in 2.05-2.15 60' times with 13.20's-13.30's (speed shifting,I neverpowershifted that car). Those Nitto's let me rev to well over 3K and drop the clutch, which made my 60' times dip comsiderablyand got me into the 12's, not to mention making a massive difference in handling compared to the stock Goodyears.

Mike

Edit to add: Speaking of AWD, I remember racing a 911 Turbo (2002 model) and that thing just slingshotted my *** off the line (as expected), then just kept pulling away like a rocket from there. It sounded like he was revved way up and dumped the clutch, that was really impressive to experience side by side (actualy more like a view from the rear). 415 HP and AWD is mean on the streets!

Quick Reply: 07 SRT8 vs 01 2.7T