Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

2001 Audi A4 Suspension Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Audi A4 Suspension Issue

Hello All,

This is my first time posting in the forums, but I'd like to thank all of you for all of the awesome threads you guys have posted because it has helped me through many of my issues over the years (turn signal issue, turbo issue, CD player malfunctions, etc).

Now, to the point and I'll try to be as specific as possible, I recently had my rear brakes changed by a mechanic who is not very familiar with Audi. The brakes are now working fine, but when I got the car back from him the car felt as though it had been lowered/"dropped". I was bouncing around everywhere. When I took it back to him the next day, we noticed the left rear of the car by the tire was lower than any other side (The gap between the right wheel and the wheel well was nonexistent. He lifted the car up on that side and and it made a loud noise. He seemed to have loosened the spring/strut/shock (I have no idea what it would be) and the car looked to have returned to it's "normal" state/level. I took the car for a ride and it wasn't as bouncey anymore, but after a few minutes it started bouncing again (as though I had coilovers on my car) real bad. He told me it was probably the struts, but I am not sure and I don't trust that he may have enough experience with these cars to properly evaluate.

I tried searching in the forums and could not find anything specific to this.

Can anyone provide any insight here? It could be very basic but I have limited/basic experience working on cars and Audis in particular.

Thanks in advance.

-B

Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

There is no reason to loosen or remove any rear suspension components to do a rear brake job...pads, rotors, or calipers.

Get the car to a qualified Audi mechanic....asap

Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator

^^^ this. I'm thinking he undid some of the suspension and either didn't reconnect it, or reconnected it without properly loading the suspension. That will change the geometry of the arms and affect how the cars sits, drives, and handles.