Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Neuspeed lower springs for A3

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 AM
T2T
1st Gear
Default Neuspeed lower springs for A3

I recently had Nuespeed Sport springs installed on my Audi A3. They look great and the car was lowered about 1.5 inches in the front and 2.0 inches in the back. This may sound wierd but the stock A3 is a bit butt high. Now it looks even from front to rear. The only complaint I have is that when I called Neuspeed, they said that I shouldn't need anything else. That the stock shocks should be fine. But that isn't true. The lowering springs lower the car beyond the stock springs range and the car floats too much. This is what I expected would happen but I thought I'd give it a try.
Note to anyone thinking about installing Neuspeed sport springs on their A3, replace the shocks too. Both Bilstein and Koni make shocks that interface with the Neuspeed springs. I'm going with Bilstein and I'll post the results when I do.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:12 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Neuspeed lower springs for A3

Neuspeed's stated "1.2F / 1.5R" threw me quite a bit too. Re: butt-high and levelling the vehicle, I have not noticed that on my Sport Package A3, but in any case wouldn't "1.2F / 1.5R" make the difference in wheel well gap between the front and rear INCREASE? Look forward to seeing your A3 this Sunday.

But not like we have many other choices:

1. Coilovers are 2x as expensive and a pain to get all four struts set at the EXACT same height.
2. Eibach does not currently have the correct Pro-Kit application for the A3, front springs do not fit exactly right.
3. H&R Sports handle great but break your back.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Neuspeed lower springs for A3

I have just confirmed with the parts dept. that the shock absorber / damper for the A3 Base, A3 Premium and A3 Sport all have different part numbers. From that, I am inferring that they are different parts. I am further projecting that the Sport Package shocks should be the firmest among the three. So MAYBE I wouldn't need to get new shocks if I get the Neuspeed Sport Springs. Shocks are much 2.5x as expensive as springs. But if I don't get shocks and end up needing them, then it's 2x the labor for installation. Sigh... so much to think about.