Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Please Help with Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Please Help with Whining Noise

Hey guys,

Very frustrating problem here.
I've got a 98 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 5spd with 37k original miles.
Upon COLD start, from the time the car is first turned on until it is shut off, there is a very distinct whining noise coming from the engine. The noise only happens when the car is started while cold, and will last the entire length of the car ride until the car is turned off. Once the car has been sitting for a while and the engine is warm, the car can be started without the annoying whining noise coming from the engine.

The noise matches the rpm of the car as I shift through gears, but it will get louder and more distinct when I turn the wheel back and fourth. The best way that I can describe the noise would be the kind of noise you think of when a belt needs to be replaced and it whines, matching the pitch with the rpm.

I was trying to examine where the noise was coming from exactly with the engine on today, and all I could come up with was that it sounded to be coming directly from the front of the motor (where the belts are). IMHO, (not that it means much at all) I think that it may possibly be one of the serpentine belts. Since one of the serpentine belts (I understand there are two along with a drive belt) is connected to my power steering pump, I feel that it would make sense that it COULD be making the noise.

However, how would I know that it is not the steering pump itself making noise? The steering works fine inside the car, but the noise is starting to drive me insain.

I would be almost 100% positive that all the belts on the car are original, so it seems possible to me that they could be getting worn out due to age, although they look fine upon visual inspection.

Are there tests I can do to determine what exactly is my problem here? Or is it evident to anyone out there what is wrong with my car?

Big thanks to anyone with anything.