Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

squeaky rear suspension

Old 06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default squeaky rear suspension

now when i bought the car i put on a brand new bilstein shock on the rear right wheel because apparently the guy who sold it said it was f'd up and needed a new one so he supplied the shock and i had it professionally installed. Im not quite sure if the car was as bad as it is now right when i replaced the shock, but think it was still making the same noises--although it seems as if the noises are worse as well as going over bumps.
its basically non-stop squeaking and sometimes when going on the brick roads i occassionally hear what seems to be a pop.

is this a shock problem, or a spring problem? I have a terrible feeling that the guy who sold it to me did something ghetto like cutting the spring or heating it up.

SO my questions are:
a.)is it possible to lower your car using audi sport springs w/o trimming or heating them up
b.)do we think replacing the springs(with lowering racing springs) will fix the problem
c.)does it sound like my shocks are already bad and need brand new suspension set-up (shocks and springs)
d.)is there something thats causing my brand new shock to go bad already?

Old 09-21-2006, 03:48 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: squeaky rear suspension

how about something even more simple? Did your mechanic replace the shock mount? Often mechanic's don't do that and its only a $20 part that could be your problem.
How about the tread wear on the tire? Is it wearing differently than the other tires?
Springs usually never go bad. Is your car lowered? If the previous owner lowered it, it is definitely possible he did some ghetto sh*t. But the springs should still be ok.

Just an fyi...if your replacing 1 shock, you should almost always replace the other. This way both are in sync.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: squeaky rear suspension

ORIGINAL: evl6096

now when i bought the car i put on a brand new bilstein shock on the rear right wheel because apparently the guy who sold it said it was f'd up and needed a new one so he supplied the shock and i had it professionally installed. Im not quite sure if the car was as bad as it is now right when i replaced the shock, but think it was still making the same noises--although it seems as if the noises are worse as well as going over bumps.
its basically non-stop squeaking and sometimes when going on the brick roads i occassionally hear what seems to be a pop.

is this a shock problem, or a spring problem? I have a terrible feeling that the guy who sold it to me did something ghetto like cutting the spring or heating it up.

SO my questions are:
a.)is it possible to lower your car using audi sport springs w/o trimming or heating them up
b.)do we think replacing the springs(with lowering racing springs) will fix the problem
c.)does it sound like my shocks are already bad and need brand new suspension set-up (shocks and springs)
d.)is there something thats causing my brand new shock to go bad already?
The squeak is comming from the Bushings in your rear suspension. they cost about $20 a piece so the tally will go up since there's a couple you have to buy for each side, you can 'lithum grease' them for a quick not-lasting solution but it'll come back or if their bad enough it won't work at all