VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

misfire CELs w/ vagcom readings / logs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Default RE: misfire CELs

Can you try lowering the FPR to 4? Or is it fixed at 5 and not adjustable? I've read here somewhere that too much fuel pressure can cause misfires, especially on stock injectors and turbo.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

its adjustable - i can lower it...but it had the same misfire at 4bar and 5bar...

Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 PM

Whay year is your car? Could be bad coils even if new. There's a reason why they have like 10 revisions of them. If you have the Hitachi coils, VW tech friend of mine says they almost never go bad; it's most likely the Powet Output Stage controller aka ICM. Have you cleaned/checked the MAF? I'm experiencing misfires only on cyl. 3 on my '98.5 1.8T. It stays with the cylinder, I've moved coil and plugs. I've got a new Bosch ICM on the way, hopefully the fix I need. Also, it's been said fuel injectors may be involved. That's why I asked about your FPR. Have you replaced the fuel filter ever on your car?

Old 04-20-2008, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

first post has what i have repaired / replaced

REPLACED SO FAR:
- all 4 coil packs
- ICM
- spark plugs (bkr7e @ 0.028 gap)
- ECT or CTS whatever you want to call it... COOLANT TEMP
- cleaned MAF

i did a boost leak down test and have vac leaks at all 4 injectors, im replacing the orings when they come in on tuesday

Old 04-23-2008, 11:07 AM

Just checking, have you fixed the misfires yet? Mine have been solved with a new ICM from worldimpex.com Hopefully it'll last another 10 years.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

not yet, just got the O-rings for the injectors in today , so will be replacing them in a day or so, maybe today if i have time

was waiting on the mail so nothing new to update really..

thanks for the concern though, will let everyone know asap

Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

okay sooooo replaced the seats and orings, no change in misfiring, but at least there is no more vac leak there , which should account for not a total loss

also put in the powergasket which kicks ***, i def feel the intake manifold temps lowered

my next step isssss i dunno..... what do you all think about BOV / DV issue? the car came with a BOV that vents to the atmosphere....if i get the DV back on and vent into the intake will this help? ...

anyone hear of BOV causing misfires?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:28 AM
1st Gear

Things replaced so far:
- Spark plugs with BRK7E 0.028 gap
- ICM
- all 4 coil packs
- engine coolant temp sensor
- cleaned MAF (with spray)
- checked and re-wrapped coil pack harness with silicone wrap
- intake manifold injector seats
- injector o-rings

i just ordered a fuel filter since the rear of the car is humming, maybe thats the noise like ive read about, plus who knows when the last time it was changed

also ordered a DV, will swap out the BOV and recirc the air back to intake lines.....if that doesnt fix the CEL at least it should fix a little bit of the idling roughness

Old 05-04-2008, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

guys i REALLY need help here, any mre input is awesome

i have 2 weeks to fix this and try to get through inspection...i dont know what else to do!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Have you done the fuel filter and the DV yet? I hate to say it, but I do think the Piper cams are causing your problems. It's a pain in the a$$ but maybe you should verify everything is lined up at TDC and crank to cam. I have a hard time believing this is only electrical, especially with timing jumping around like it is.

The BOV has caused others problems so you are justified in putting a DV back in. That humming in the rear at/around startup is your fuel pump working harder than it should to get fuel through a clogged filter. Many folks recommend replacing them before 100K miles.

As an aside, tell me about the powergasket a little. I'm interested and curious.

Quick Reply: misfire CELs w/ vagcom readings / logs