VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

misfire CELs w/ vagcom readings / logs

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:54 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: misfire CELs

ORIGINAL: andreigbs

Have you done the fuel filter and the DV yet? I hate to say it, but I do think the Piper cams are causing your problems. It's a pain in the a$$ but maybe you should verify everything is lined up at TDC and crank to cam. I have a hard time believing this is only electrical, especially with timing jumping around like it is.

The BOV has caused others problems so you are justified in putting a DV back in. That humming in the rear at/around startup is your fuel pump working harder than it should to get fuel through a clogged filter. Many folks recommend replacing them before 100K miles.

As an aside, tell me about the powergasket a little. I'm interested and curious.
havent had time to do the filter yet, waiting to this weekend probably....although i hear the humming around 45 mph, not really anytime else?

DV, im still waiting on the air hose from turbo inlet pipe to turbo outlet to get in the mail since mine was not with the car

what about the powergasket do you wanna know? it has lowered my IAT anywhere from 10-30 degrees F

biggest thing about the piper cams thats getting me wound up is that a ton of people are saying they have the same things and no problems...so i dunno

Old 05-07-2008, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: EOD5
what about the powergasket do you wanna know? it has lowered my IAT anywhere from 10-30 degrees F

biggest thing about the piper cams thats getting me wound up is that a ton of people are saying they have the same things and no problems...so i dunno
Piper Cams = YEMV (your experience may vary) from everyone else. Then there are folks who'd rather not complain after an "upgrade" and live with rough idling and even misfires.

If you had the original cams available, I'd be inclined to swap and see for myself. Your priorities, mechanical skills or $$$ situation are the deciding factors, of course.

I liked the idea of the powergasket, i think i saw it online for around $60 somewhere. It claims a good drop in IAT but I didn't really know if it's worth it at the time. Lot cheaper than a FMIC, for sure. Is it white, foam-like? Care to post a link to where you got it from?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

i got mine from ECS...its a black polymer type gasket....i dont know if i would get it instead of a FM, since you are still subject to massive heat soak with the side mount

who knows

just pulled compression, 185 across the board on hot start

Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Sounds like new to me; Bentley lists values between 145-188.5 PSI as being "new". Good to see you're troubleshooting and covering the bases. If there was a way to check the spray pattern on injectors, that would be my next step. I know on my TDI when the injectors get worn out, you get a less-than-great fuel spray (pulverization, they call it) and it can lead to misfiring, smoke, reduced power and higher EGTs. I dunno how to test the fuel injectors though. If you can rule out injectors, spark plugs/coils and compression, what else is there left but electrical sensors, like camshaft/crank position sensor or knock sensor(s).

Plus, you have quite a few mods already, who's to say what's contributing to the problem?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

good info....yeah im thinking of going this week to NGP Racing in MD to get them to test out my plugs, or i might just get some newer ones off a member online if i can find them

ruled out spark....my coils and icm both work and go through pin tests well

i need to rule out MAF still trying to get someone local to swap test with me....gotta rule out the DV, need the hose to get in here.... i dont think its the sensors b/c wouldnt i get a fault / CEL for those too?

the compression is 185 b/c it was recently rebuilt ~6000 miles now.....so the internals should be okay and not causing the misfires

Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear

How many miles/tanks of gas have you driven the car since you got it? If not many miles, might be a bad tank of gas? Try the iso-heet or whatever brand fuel additive that helps remove water from your gas tank.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

def been over 1500 miles....many tanks