Throttle body adaptation help - AudiForums.com

VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

Default Throttle body adaptation help

I have a 1999.5 A4 B5 2.8 quattro thathas been running badly since iI chranged my OEM shifter to a stratomosphere short shifter. I was using my map light for extra light above the shifter and I believe I left it on when I finished the install. I didn't come back to the car for about two days. When I went to start it the car was completely dead. No lights, clicks, nothing. I jumped the car and noticed horrible idling, sometimes wanting to and did stall. Following that came a cel. I drove the car to a nearby auto parts store to have it read and I was given code p1545 (throttle body malfunction). They couldn't help me much so I went home and poured through furums finding that it is fairly common and discussed often. I bought a v checker scanner from ECS tuning and I received it yesterday. First off as others have said it is not very informative. That said, I don't really need the Ross tech vag either. I am just barely a shade tree or even weekend warrior mechanic. I went through the functions: 01 eng, basic settings, entered code '098' for cable throttle motors, enter, checker documentation says I should have gotten some values and then they would change and then I would see ADP RUN and finally ADP OK. I didn't see either one. Just the values showing rpm's etc. I let it sit thinking it would change but nothing. I press the left arrow for enter and it said adaptation successful! I thought I had fixed it because upon waiting 15 seconds and a restart the motor was definitely running smoother. So I went for a test drive and the car is still hesitating and bucking in 1st a d 2nd. Then the cell came back on. BTW, I did clear it before I did the first adaptation. So I tried again doing everything above except using code '060' instead although I don't think its the right one. I am trying to figure out how to use this thing right and see the ADP RUN and ADP OK. One more thing, in between doing the above I cleaned the throttle body. I didn't remove it just the plastic tube that is part of the accordion hose and airbox that connects to the back of the motor. I sprayed throttle body cleaner liberally and wiped the butterfly flap off good. Reassembled and tried the adaptation. No go. This all seemed to coincide with changing the shifter and a dead battery. Any help would be appreciated. Andy
Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Default Follow up

I appreciate any and all comments regarding this issue although i was able to fix it. Upon returning home i looked at my v checker tutorials, found inside the unit under 'protocols', and discovered that i was going under the wrong heading after [01] engine electronics. I was going down to i believe 'Adaptation' and entering the group # '098'. I should have gone under 'Basic settings' and entered the group number. Did so and i found the appropriate values, heard some clicking and whirring for about 10 seconds, and then i turned off the ignition and waited about 15-20 seconds. I then started the car and took it for a test drive. No more cel, no more hesitation and bucking. Fixed. Hope this helps with anyone else that has the same problem after a dead battery, etc. For the price i paid for the v checker it definitely was worth it. Now maybe i might want to get that VCDS....
Old 01-17-2018, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Default Ive tried this method...and still cant get it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang77 View Post
I appreciate any and all comments regarding this issue although i was able to fix it. Upon returning home i looked at my v checker tutorials, found inside the unit under 'protocols', and discovered that i was going under the wrong heading after [01] engine electronics. I was going down to i believe 'Adaptation' and entering the group # '098'. I should have gone under 'Basic settings' and entered the group number. Did so and i found the appropriate values, heard some clicking and whirring for about 10 seconds, and then i turned off the ignition and waited about 15-20 seconds. I then started the car and took it for a test drive. No more cel, no more hesitation and bucking. Fixed. Hope this helps with anyone else that has the same problem after a dead battery, etc. For the price i paid for the v checker it definitely was worth it. Now maybe i might want to get that VCDS....
HOW IN GODS NAME DID YOU DO IT?
I followed the instructions explicitly. Used Basic Settings and used the numbers it gave me. I heard nothing and felt nothing. The numbers it gave can not be correct for an 1.8t engine for audi a4.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Default Tba adaptation

[QUOTE=regenmeister;1516646]HOW IN GODS NAME DID YOU DO IT?
I followed the instructions explicitly. Used Basic Settings and used the numbers it gave me. I heard nothing and felt nothing. The numbers it gave can not be correct for an 1.8t engine for audi a4.[/QUOTE

yes it was done on a 2.8 quattro.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

you must do it with diagnostic tool