Wheel swap for a few days to test my vibration theory? - AudiForums.com

Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Tech > Wheels and Tires
Wheel swap for a few days to test my vibration theory? >

Wheel swap for a few days to test my vibration theory?

Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel swap for a few days to test my vibration theory?

Old 07-20-2018, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Wheel swap for a few days to test my vibration theory?

Anyone in the Chicago area with Audi 19Ē 5 spoke Ďrotorí wheels willing to do a wheel swap test with me for a few days?

Iíve been fight a steering wheel vibration problem since I bought my 2015 Audi TTS in April 2016 and Iím at the end of my rope.

Hereís the detailed summary:
1) Car had 2000 miles, came with 255 35 R19 snow tires mounted on 19Ē 15 spoke Audi wheels.
2) I bought Hartmann 5 spoke ďrotorĒ wheels. They make replica wheels for German cars. Also bought Dunlop 255 35 R19 summer tires.
3) From the beginning, using the Hartmann / Dunlop setup gave me steering wheel vibration Ė but only occasionally, especially at 82 mph +/- 3 mph, and especially when moderately accelerating through that speed. When driving on long trips at high speed, the vibration comes and goes every few minutes.
4) Trying to eliminate this, I had the wheels rebalanced 5 or 6 times over 2 years by 4 different places. (Starting to lose count) Of course they all did road force balance.
5) After the first year (2016) I bought a new set of tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) to see if the problem would go away. The vibration is less, but the main characteristic is still the same.
6) Iíve tried different tire pressures, different tire & wheel positions to no effect. The only thing that may have reduced the vibration is cooler weather (50F.)
7) This is a very aggravating problem. Its most annoying when taking the car on vacation trips when driving at high speeds all day. Kind of ruins the trip.
8) During the winter months, Iíve put the Audi OEM wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak tires back on, and never notice any vibration. HmmÖ.
9) So given all the wheel balancing, and having tried two different sets of brand new summer tires, the only common denominator left is the Hartmann wheels. Iím tired of throwing money a problem I have totally failed to resolve. One difference between Audi wheels and Hartman is the offset. The Hartmann wheels have +47 Offset, the Audi +52. 5 mm difference. Canít use spacers, the Hartmannís would need to go into the rotor area more to be equivalent. So Iím curious if the wheel spacing being a bit different can affect the ďscrub radiusĒ enough to cause a difference in the torque moment on the tire patch on the ground.
10) I want to try 19Ē Audi OEM 5 spoke rotor wheels (love the look) to see if my problems would finally go away. Anyone in the Chicago area willing to do this test with me and swap wheels for a few days? If this is the cure Iíll fork over the coin for actual Audi wheels, about double the price of Hartmann. I canít keep throwing money at this problem without some hope that Iím going down the right path.

Thanks!