Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

Wheels advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Wheels advice

Ok,
So as the summer ends and I'm forced to retire the 18's for the winter I encounter the sad truth.

My stock 15's not only need to be sprayed, they also need tires.
I was curious to know what you guys think as far as painting goes... how much will a decent job go and do you guys think a certain color would look especially good with my pearl?

Next, What tires should I slap on them?
The dimensions are 195/65/15
What is the max range i have on the dimensions, and what would you recommend as far as a good tire goes?
These are going to be for going through snow and such, I snowboard a LOT.

Soooooo.... what were you guys thinking? I saw we had a site sponsor treadepot.com that seems to have some that would match up pretty well for around $50 a tire...

Whats a good brand and dimension for tracking through snow in ohio and possible michigan and new york?

Thanks guys!

P.s. If you guys also know of a way to get tires for my 18's for less than 100 a piece I'd LOVE that too haha.... I cant seem to find them used and still have tread anywhere but dont want to pay $100+ for them new...
Also whats gonna be my max / min dimension?
The current ones seem to have a little more than a centimeter from hitting a beam, where do I go from there? Looking for cheaper dimensions.

Specs on those are 225/40/18

Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Legal Moderator

as far as the 18's go, i picked up a set of nexen n3000's for around 270 locally. am pretty happy with them so far but im going back to my 15's for winter. those got goodyear assurance all weather's. not too bad during the winter.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
3rd Gear

Just buy some rattle can spray paint and spray your wheels some funny color. Switch it up any time.
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp this should help you with dimensions. Just stay around the normal dimensions for a b5.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear

If your 15 inchers are going to winter wheels only, just spray 'em. I was going to do mine this summer (I still might) ,but there's nothing wrong with trying.

If you have the means Hakkapeliitta snow tires are the ****, I will be getting a set soon for the winter. I can't afford to mess around with cheap tires as I have a kid now, plus these wear better than Blizzaks do. They are about $170 a piece so they aren't too bad.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

See the problem with my 15's, and the reason I was going to take them in rather than spray painting, is because all of the factory paint has chipped and peeled... they look terrible and its all down to the metal... will i have a rust issue in all of the snow and salt?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:29 PM
3rd Gear

is powdercoating a possibility? I know a guy around here quoted me around $300 for all 4 wheels.

A buddy of mine painted his wheels gunmetal and after 3 months his paint was chipping bad. He told me it was to lack of full prep work, he just wanted them painted. I suppose if it's down to metal and the paint will stick, a few coats and a couple of coats of clear should do the trick.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Thats what I was thinking was to just shell out some cash and get the powdercoat. I was just wondering if you guys knew a price range or if you had any suggestions on colors to go with pearl.

The paint is almost fully off... they seriously look like ****... i'll post a pic if i can.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 PM
3rd Gear

I think you should stick with the silver.....the wheels are only for the winter anyways right??? Plus if the paint turns out shitty, from far away no one but you will know the difference.

I have the pearl white as well and I'm going to be purchasing a new set of 17x7.5's for next spring/summer. I did want black in the worst way, until a buddy of mine rolled his black wheels to it. It just didn't look right, if my car was white it probably would have looked ok. I'm probably going to stick with RS6 reps in the silver finish.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

So this is how bad most of them look. One is actually only peeling a little bit. but would obv still need painted...
Also i took a pic of the tread... do you think that would be enough to get thru the winter? I know its a little hard to see

Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

The rims i have on my car now are greyish and i think they look great. I dont know about black tho

Quick Reply: Wheels advice