B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

clutch not engaging?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:25 PM
1st Gear
Default clutch not engaging?

I was on a hill stopped and smoked the clutch getting back in to first. I drove maybe 80 ft to the gas station and filled up. When I went to leave the clutch no longer worked I limped it home in 1st. When I sit in the car before starting the motor I can shift it in every gear. When I crank the motor I can shift it no problem. Then it warms up and I cant get it into gear, its like there is a plate there blocking the path. I can turn the car off and immediately put it in first and crank her up again and she will move. What broke on me? I really need to get her on the road.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by subliminal
What broke on me?
1. The clutch itself (how many miles do you have on it?)
2. The hydraulics that move the clutch fork.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Legal Moderator

I was on a hill stopped and smoked the clutch getting back in to first. I drove maybe 80 ft to the gas station and filled up. When I went to leave the clutch no longer worked I limped it home in 1st. When I sit in the car before starting the motor I can shift it in every gear. When I crank the motor I can shift it no problem. Then it warms up and I cant get it into gear, its like there is a plate there blocking the path. I can turn the car off and immediately put it in first and crank her up again and she will move. What broke on me? I really need to get her on the road.
the problem isn't that your clutch wont engage, the problem is it isn't disengaging. when that happened to me, my pressure plate was broke into four pieces. 9/10 says its a clutch problem. I highly doubt its anything else

Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 PM
4th Gear

So when you first start up the car you are able to shift into gears and drive normal, but once the car warms up you are no longer able to get into gear with the motor running?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
So when you first start up the car you are able to shift into gears and drive normal, but once the car warms up you are no longer able to get into gear with the motor running?
That is correct

Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 PM
4th Gear

That is correct
Could be that the disk is dragging after the material warms up or your pilot bearing is grabbing the input shaft after it warms up. Really no way of telling without pulling the transmission down.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Really no way of telling without pulling the transmission down.
^^^This^^^