B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New key for a 2001 Audi a4

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Question New key for a 2001 Audi a4

I am just wondering if there is anyway to buy and program a new key fob to my car because I only have the valet key and I want to get a new main key but the dealer charges $260 so I was wondering if it is possible if I can do it myself for cheaper

Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

You can easily get a new (blank) key and easily program it (I could walk you through that), but getting a key cut for your car is the hard part.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

Ok as I am looking I can get a key easy but does it need to a like a certain key number? Or will this one work?
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-12-2017, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear

It depends. Some key FOBs don't have the trunk button (mine doesn't). Google your year, make, model and the word "key" and you should see the right one pop up (probably a pic from a seller on ebay). That's the best way to figure it out.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

The keys a 3 part system.
There's the standard groove that needs to be cut in it.
This bit let's you into the car and to unlock the glovebox/trunk/back seats.

Different keys have a different end profile groove cut down the leading edges of the key, ie mechanics key groove is thinner, leaving the key @ 2.2mm thick there, it won't fit the glovebox/trunk or rear seats. I expect there's a similar deviation with the valet key etc.

Normal key seems to have a deeper groove, leaving it thinner @ 1.4mm thick.
A hobby machinist could mill machine the slit in a mechanics key deeper so it could work in the other locks.
~~~~~~~~~

There's a RIFD chip, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radi...identification
This AFAIK, needs to be programmed and they say that the cars computer then needs to be programmed to accept this new RFID chip.
Without the correct RIFD chip being detected by the wire loop Ariel around the ignition barrel, the computer will not let the car actually start and run.

Couple of notes,
1) I think a newer version of these RIFD chips can be programmed to the same value as a existing keys RIFD, bypassing the need to reprogramme the cars computer.
2) The right key, without the RIFD tag inside, might start the car for several seconds, and then it stops again. Theft prevention.
3) If there's another RIFD tag close by to the key, ie another key on the keyring, it may read this instead and the car won't start.
4) There's the possiblitly of taking out the RIFD chip and gluing it near the ignition barrel so when the keys put in the barrel, it reads the RIFD & thinks its in the key. On the other hand... The car may think the keys been left in the ignition when you go to lock the door and it won't let you do that. And.. There's a real possibility of breaking the glass RIFD tube when removing it. $$$
~~~~~~~~

Keyfob remote control.
This is the larger keyfob with the 2-3 buttons on it to unlock the doors, unlock the trunk and open/close the windows. Its got a battery in it.
You can programme it yourself if you want, the instructions are somewhere in this site.

You need to be able to lock/unlock, turn ignition on/off, the car with a existing key as you programme the remote control.

Last edited by marteA4; 02-13-2017 at 01:15 AM.