B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

A4 Hood Latch Broken

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:18 AM
1st Gear
Talking

This thread had some good tips to get started. I have an 02 A4 1.8T Quattro and the hood release wasn't working.

To remove the front grill, I used a 90 degree scribe (similar to a dentist's pick) and slid it between the hood and the top of the grill at the 1st, 3rd, and 5th vertical partitions from both ends. I used a piece of cloth to protect the paint on the hood. Once you slide it in, you can twist it so the point rotates downward to depress the tabs on the other side, at the same time, pull on the grill towards you. I had a friend help keep pulling tension on the grill to prevent it from snapping back into place. It took about a minute to remove the grill.

Once that was done, you're able to get to the caps holding the hood to the release latch.

The front two were not that hard to remove, but the back one was a pain. An angled 10mm wrench would probably make the job easier. It took about an hour to remove all three. When you're close to getting the back bolt cap off, I recommend trying to finish taking it off by hand and using a magnetic retriever to prevent it from falling down into the engine compartment.

After releasing the hood, I found that the cable had popped out of its retainer. I think this may have happened when the cable sleeve popped out of its retainer at the driver side pull lever. I'm not sure if there is a good way to keep either from popping out again. Perhaps tape at the driver's pull lever.

The hood release now works like a champ, and I was happy that I didn't have to buy any new parts nor pay any labor costs.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Hood Release Not Working

Great info on this thread. I couldn't get to the release from underneath,just not enough room,but pulling the grills and taking off the acorn nuts was the way to go for me. I'd like to add something to the thread...When I got the hood up I could see the cable had broken and what a pain that was to run. For anyone who doesn't know, the cable routes in the fender so you'll have to remove the plastic inner fender to get to it and route it with the wiring harness into the cab and under the dash. I spent more time running the cable than getting the hood up. Hope this can help someone!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:09 AM
1st Gear
Default 2005 A4 1.8t

Agreed the best method on '05 A4 w/1.8t is to remove the front grille and use a small 10mm open end wrench to remove the 3 acorn nuts holding the hood to the latch. To remove the grille, I used a siding removal tool (about $5) you can buy at any hardware store. Insert tool behind the top of the grille, about 3" from either side. Gently pull out and continue pulling until clip has dislodged from hood. Continue repositioning the tool around the top and both sides of the grille until it has become fully unattached. Note...do not use the tool on the bottom of the grille as there are no clips on the bottom, but instead there are tabs that fasten to the grille. When the top and sides are loose, gently lift the grille out of the opening.

Next, use a small 10mm open end wrench to remove the 3 acorn nuts. Be patient, the front 2 nuts can only be loosened about 1/4 turn with each attempt. The back nut can be loosend about 1/8 turn each.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up underneath is the way to

I just endured this same headache on my 2003 A4 1.8T Quattro. As I needed to replace my grill, I had the access in the front. Those acorn nuts are incredibly tricky to maneuver. With the car up on ramps, you can pop off the underside guard with a flathead screw driver. At this point, refer to that nice pic. My easiest reference point to spot was that little dip. After some fiddling, it turned out I was able to pop it really easy with a very long flathead screwdriver.

When MY mechanic was replacing my waterpump and timing belt (which I had paid to have replaced 20k miles ago and got completely swindled on. the new mech pulled out original parts and gave them to me.), it looks like he bent the hood mechanism connected to the cable

Popped hood, replaced coils and plugs, fixed the caBle latch, and popped in a new grill in about two hours. Would have saved an hour if I skipped the "through the grill, over the radiator" method and used a long screwdriver underneath to pop the latch.

Thank you guys so much!!!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

My first post here, just to say thanks.
I was able to repair an 04 today with a broken cable thanks to this. I also have a 98 that was bought with a huge hole cut in the hood due to the cable coming loose (previous owner).
I'm on here constantly browsing and learning/researching repair info but I wanted to say thanks for the detailed info.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Help!

I am 19 and really want to buy an Audi 2002 a4 b6 multitronic (this one 2002 Audi A4 B6 Cars for sale in NSW - Carsales Mobile). I have a job that is reasonably consistent and I predict I will continue to make anywhere from 600-1000 a week. I have no knowledge whatsoever regarding cars though I really like this one. I have a friend that knows quite abit about cars but I wanted an outsourced opinion. Am I being realistic, or is this a purchase that would just become a burden? I seem to have the same problem, regarding a family that naively go off the fact that the car has the badge of a luxury car brand on it, but at the same tome the fact that eiropean cars are obviously more money to maintain, ontop of the fact that the car is more expensive regarding petrol etc. just looking for that more knowledgable figure to tell me to stop being an idiot or otherwise. From what I have been told it is a very good deal. Really want some insight from what seem to be some very knowledgable Audi lovers. Help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: papadil, or anyone interested in buying used

Hi, not sure if you ended up getting one. But for anyone out there. I love the B6 styling and even get looks and compliments from newer audi owners. I got mine when i was 23, 26 now. For a new(used) buyer, id say stay away from the CVT, audi says theres no problem yet they updated to 7 clutch pack from 6 and software upgrade. The clutches among other problems fail and you get a hesitating jerky take off, or at least in many cases i've seen. A good ol' manual and the 1.8 is a nice setup .

The 1.8 is a nice engine, very capable and mod-able. Stock its very adequate. Things i'd look for on a used 1.8 like mine is that the Timing belt and water pump is done with new tensioner etc., and listen if the camshaft timing chain tensioner is clicking. The tensioner usually fails after a while and can be noisy like a diesel. Replacing is expensive. Other than that i really like the engine. If its a really high mileage, and you do the Tbelt and pump its a nice idea to get the alternator while there. On both my audi's and they have failed around the 120k miles.

Interior wise, at very high mileages and depending on climate the headliner has been known to peel off. Mine is good. The seats are great and really love the comfort and look nice with the sport steering wheel. Only complain is the driver seat; usually the side bolster cracks a little. Another nuisance is the instrument panels and door buttons can peel very easily revealing a white plastic from underneath. No biggie for me, i used a sharpy or high gloss black paint to mask lol (its plastic like). I really love the dash and interior, wood trims are nice and aluminum is sporty.

Other mechanical maintenance. The CV boots tear fairly easily in my experience with less than adventurous driving. Also check if the rack and pinion are leaking, it would be green hydraulic fluid down the front passenger side, slow drip. A nice tip for someone needing to change the gas pump, in some its under the back seats but on mine its in the trunk. My mechanic was nuts and couldn't find it, and wanted to lower all exhaust pipes and tank, for a nice fat bill. Luckily another tech knew about its location and helped out.

lol its not all gloom i love these cars, the ride quality and fun they provide. I have a vw bug and A4, and lost my A6 as some kids totaled it while parked christmas day! V6's are the nicest, smooth ride quality.

Last edited by mezonesxbox; 01-13-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: RE:
Old 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Sponsor

We have hood latches available below!

Click HERE to order or for more information

As well as complete hood release refresh kits!

Click HERE

Jason

Old 08-22-2017, 09:14 PM
1st Gear
Default My hood latch isn't working

I have a b6 a4 1.8t cabriolet and I went to open my hood today and the latch just broke I figured I'd just pull the line and it would open but it didn't do anything im thinking it came loose does anyone know how I could open the hood? I need to get it open to put coolant!

Old 02-14-2021, 11:05 AM
Default to open hood latch when cable broke..

Originally Posted by SusanA
Audi had my car last weekend--washer pump ($300 repair).

Today, I go to open the hood to add washer fluid and it won't open. I don't hear a click and the latch on the front of the car is so low, I can't spring it.

Anyone know if using a screwdriver will release the button latch.

I've had almost $2000 in repairs in the last month on a car with 70k miles. I've really had it. I have a 100 year old house that isn't the money pit this car has turned out to be.
My 2003 A4 has had 3 very expensive repairs water pump timing belt coolant flange and as understand it hood cable break can require a very specially shaped long rod from underneath and a very skilled shop to open If cable broke at latch inside can open hood by pulling cable inner snake with a hood pliers and then feed new cable through inner left front fender I keep my latch soaked with WD40 Tefllon varriety to keep cable pulling easily and not breaking going on 17 yrs now good luck

Here is the You tube with the easy to make tool that works..plan to go to Ace hdwr and buy a 1/4" or 3/8"" dia rod 4 ft long for $3 and make this tool just in case cable ever breaks...but will have to put car on front end jack stands to get under it and take off belly pan...better than any of above remedies....must be the way shops do these in 10 minutes...
great video...
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...a3&action=view

Last edited by Michael Ostrowski; 02-14-2021 at 12:16 PM. Reason: easy to may tool..