General Mechanical Question for Audi 90

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Default General Mechanical Question for Audi 90

Hi guys, brand new to the forum and Audi-owner world. Looks like there's a lot of helpful info on this forum. I searched but didn't find my particular question answered, and hope you can help. TIA!

I have a friend who is going to give me his old 1990 Audi 90. It's been sitting in his driveway for like a year, and he just wants to get it off his hands and out of his way. So my questions are:

1) Aside from buying a new battery which I already did, what else should I expect to have to do to get the car to start up?

2) He said the car was drivable when he last used it about a year ago, but the car wouldn't go into reverse. It's an automatic. Any thougths on what that could be?

3) I welcome all other comments about what to consider/look for as I decide if this car is worth hanging onto and trying to get running.

Thanks. I know this isn't going to be a great car right off the bat, but I'm excited to learn and work on the car to restore some of it's former glory.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:06 AM
Default RE: General Mechanical Question for Audi 90

you need also gas.
the tranny might not have a good link, or broken.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Default RE: General Mechanical Question for Audi 90

Check the transmission fluid and see if it's dark/black and contains any particulate matter. Then change it regardless of what it looks like. Does it shift hard? Take a look at all the vacuum lines...possibly plug the HVAC lines and then pressurize the system with a hand pump or regulated air compressor to find leak points, which are probably everywhere. Drive the car over a grassy surface and listen for clunking/vibration/binding, this could indicate worn bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, or strut mounts. Take a look at the exhaust, if it's real rusty it's a time bomb, for obvious reasons. I'm new to Audis, but these are the basic checks I make after I buy a car.

Or just drive the hell out of it until it breaks, since it's basically free anyways.