Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Ignition lock cylinder

My ignition has been acting up... open door chimes WITHOUT key in ignition, key is difficult to insert, steering lock does not activate. Usually, the ignition switch fails, so I replaced it. Unfortunately , it did not fix the problem, therefore, on to next step. Has someone replaced their lock cylinder and has a process to share? Is it as simple as disconnecting the wires, inserting valet key and use wire to release cylinder?

Thanks for any feedback. Car is 2001 A6 2.7T.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Ignition lock cylinder

The ignition cylinder has nothing to do with warning chimes going off, i would have someone check each of your door latches with a VAG COM. If one of them malfunctions all kinds of systems go haywire.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Wow, that's worth checking. Do door latches also cause the symptom where it is difficult, at times impossible, to insert the key in the ignition?
Now to find someone in the southern NH area with a VAG COM.
Thanks!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Site Moderator

I think someone may have messed up the cable going to the ignition lock cylinder, so im guessing you have to turn the steering wheel a lot to get the key in the ignition barrel correct?
As for the electrical problem its probably a door latch.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:53 AM
1st Gear

Bought the car from a friend 2 weeks ago. After one week, symptoms. Door chimes w/o key, key fob does not work, key is difficult to insert. The symptons all showed up simultaneously. All at the same time. It was not gradual, just one day. My friend says it had never happened. We had adjusted the in/out steering wheel... don't know if that's a red herring.
BTW, the key goes in if you jiggle it back and forth a little bit. If you insert it straight in, it meets resistance and stops. A little jiggle and you are in. No, I do not have to turn the steering wheel.
Yesterday, after letting it sit for a while, the door stopped chiming, the key fob worked, but key entry was still sticky. The question is how to fix the column lock... which I assume means, maybe, opening up the lock cylinder. Do not know the process, and since car is new, I do not have any repair manuals. Cheers!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Site Moderator

You can't open up the lock cylinder, you can only replace it which can be really hard if you don't know what you're doing. All the symptoms your describing a faulty door latch can cause, except for the key having a hard time going into the cylinder. That NEVER happens with our cars un-less someone f***s something up when doing an ignition switch or plays around with the column.
Find someone with a VAG COM and diagnose each door latch and find which one is malfunctiong, then take apart the steering column and find whats causing the problem with the key. And no i don't care if they all happened at once,s*** happens.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! I think it is time to call the calvary (i.e. dealer) and get this thing fixed.

Know when to hold them, know when to fold them.