Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Downpipe and cat-back exhaust interest?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Downpipe and cat-back exhaust interest?

I asked my salesman about CPO and exhaust mods, and he said it would only affect the warrantee on the exhaust.

I'm a little concerned that they might get testy about turbo-related problems, but frankly I haven't heard of any such problems so far.

My desire is for a relatively affordable cat-back stainless exhaust system that allows the turbos to spin more freely, gives me some more power, and sounds awesome without waking the neighbors. Is that too much to ask? I sincerely hope not.

The fact that it might be coming from one of our forum sponsors makes me feel a lot better...and I'm interested in the HID fogs for my '04 AR, too.

Cheers,

jf

Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

I appreciate all the support offered here. The exhaust is slowly in the works and looks like it could be within 3 weeks that I have the first one made. My goal will be to keep the price down to as little as possible. It's tough with these true dual systems as they require more material and two cats, mufflers, resonators etc... I'll have to see what ends up being required in terms of mufflers and resonators as I don't want to get drone but I'd love to hear more of that V6 and whining turbo chargers. I am with you on the note that I also want to free up some room for my turbos - hopefully make them last a bit longer too.

Stay tuned!

Don't hesitate to post questions or concerns or PM or email me. I will get back to you within 12-16 hours but usually quicker than that.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Do you have a ball park figure how much it would be???

Milltek costs over $2k and cat-back exhaust system from Kinetic Motorsports is priced just over $1200. The link below is a cat-back exhaust system for Audi Allroad from KineticsMotorsports.

http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/pro...s-715-138.html

I hope this one's cheaper!

one more thing, does anybody know a company that makes HIGH FLOW CATS for AllRoad??

Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for posting the link. I don't have any ballparks right now. A cat-back may be of a similar price but the downpipes may be a little less than others on the market. It will be a few weeks at least before I know more.

What kind of high flow cats are you looking for? OEM fit or aftermarket? Aftermarket ones are available most places as long as they are OBDII compliant. For CA cars you will need a CA specific cat.

Thanks,
John

Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

I am very excited at the thought of affordable downpipe/cats and cat-back stainless exhaust that costs less than the Milltek. I looked at a site that quotes $1999 for the Milltek downpipes alone! The cat-back section is another $1499, so almost $3500 for parts alone! Holy crap!

My concern, though, is that the installation of the downpipes does not seem an easy job. I wouldn't be surprised if the engine mounts had to be loosened, or some other part removed to get the pipes onto the manifolds. The cat-back part is probably a piece of cake after that. When I asked the closest APR installers about the most affordable way of doing a new exhaust, two stages or all in one shot, they said that all in one shot would save time, and therefore money.

Amazingly, we're talking about an exhaust modification that could cost more than $4K, without even touching the turbos or headers. It's almost enough to make me think about doing a chip and a cat-back just to get better performance and better sound with minimal investment. Something about the German in me, though, is making me want to do the whole exhaust because it seems like the right thing to do.

Once we have a good idea about how much SharpHID's system will cost, we'll be able to make a solid decision.

john

Old 04-26-2008, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

it's been roughly 3 weeks. Any updates???

Old 04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Unfortunatetly not yet. I have been so busy with some things lately that it got pushed back a bit. It looks like I won't be able to get started on it until the end of May after the Carlisle Car Show. It is still in the works, however, and I will definitely post up an update once I have one made or started.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

I just went to an exhaust shop an hour ago to get X-pipe for my allroad. They said they would make me one(custom x-pipe) for around $100 butwhen they lifted my carup they told me thatthe carhas fully galvanized pipes and I should keep it stock instead of putting new stainless pipes because stock one will outlast stainless pipes by far. Also AllRoads have factory tuned exhaust system so that putting straight pipes to replace stock one, removing resonator, changing mufflers, and etcwill change everything from gas milage to power output (im sure you guys already know this.) and it might burn turbos up.They told me they would keepexhaust systemstock if they were me unlessI have exhaust system that is built for turbo cars. As they inspected my car, they noticed that I have a bad front axle and told me it needs to be replaced. So, I'm looking at $1500 to fix them.
Damn, there goes my exhaust fund. I'll probably save some moneyand just chip it.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

What I would like to know is if that exhaust shop had any evidence to back up their claims burned turbos, lower gas mileage and shorter life.

The reliable after market exhaust companies I've been looking into (Milltek and APR) give lifetime guarantees. As for burned turbos, wouldn't less back pressure just allow them to spin more freely, but not necessarily at higher (burning?) speeds?

If nothing else, I would like to have a more present exhaust note from this lovely engine. Not a coffee-can muffled Honda...just a little bit more of a growl. I have also heard some claims of higher gas mileage because of less constriction behind the turbo.

Does anyone have experience/knowledge in this area? Help us, Techie-won Kenobi, you're our only hope!

cheers,

john

Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

These are all good questions and are of concern for me too. I have never heard of an exhaust being the cause for blowing up turbos on a regular basis. A bigger exhaust means the turbo should spool faster, exhaust gases faster, and also run cooler. I am pretty confident you will see an increase in gas mileage and having talked to other members with exhaust systems they have seen similar gains.

I will be back in the bay area this coming week and I hope to get started on this project shortly thereafter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Downpipe and cat-back exhaust interest?