Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

"Chip" Questions / Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 11:57 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default "Chip" Questions / Thoughts

1. Have not seen any mention of the Neuspeed ECU reflash program here, whose dyno chart shows decent numbers. Why not? (a) Is Neuspeed's dyno overstated? (b) Neuspeed does not have the option of a "stock" setting? (c) Reputation? Previous bad experiences with Neuspeed regarding ECU reflashing?

2. There were some posts regarding recent versions of the APR program being "detuned" due to problems. Does anyone know whether those have been resolved? Anyone has APR's current dyno charts and/or numbers in the "detuned" program? I am all for reliability at the expense of the last few % of hp and torque.

3. Regarding Revo and their "trial" program, there was a mention that when it returns to stock, it is only what Revo "considers" as stock? I realize that when you get the Revo program, the dealer probably does NOT back up YOUR stock program for a later "restore". (Correct me if I am wrong.) But I don't see Revo creating a "stock" program; it probably "backed it up" from an A3 that it first tested. (Legality questions aside.) I guess problems can arise if there is enough of a difference between Revo's stock back up (e.g., came off a pre-prod. or early prod. A3) and the version of my car.

4. "Stock" setting - If I do get either an APR or a Revo reflash, I do hope that they back up MY stock ECU settings so that when I select the "stock" program, I get EXACTLY the program that my A3 came with. Does anyone know whether they do that? If not, I am guessing that maybe it would be easier for a dealer to know that you are "chipped". Or maybe I am overthinking this. I know the engine was introduced prior to 2005 overseas, but with U.S. fuel, etc., I don't know if Audi is constantly improving or at least tweaking its program with each "batch" of A3's being sent over here. If there are variations between earlier and later Audi programs, I would rather have the later one.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Default RE: "Chip" Questions / Thoughts

A lot of questions, so here we go:

1) Neuspeed, from what I was told, does NOT start at a base program to ensure that all fuel and air maps are insync. The just jack up the fuel and boost to increase performance. I'm not sure about their different programming options.

2) I know that APR hasn't had a fix yet according to T2T.

3 & 4) Both APR and REVO use a base program that mirrors the stock program from Audi. They each from there have built there own performance programs that are very similar. Whenever their programs are returned to the stock setting, it will be THEIR stock setting. Audi will never be able to notice the difference between the two different stock settings. Frankly, you will never turn it back to stock again anyway unless it's going to the dealer for service.

You are over-thinking this, but it's a good exercise when screwing with your $30k car.

Chip it and you'll never go back! That smile won't be easily wiped off your face either!!!

Cheers!

Chef

Old 06-20-2006, 01:57 AM

Yuppie,

I just noticed your zip code. Did you know that we are having a GTG in Irvine this Sunday? You would be able to see A3's with both the APR chip, with and without the APR exhaust, and REVO chip as well. It would be a good go and see it day for you and we are a lot of fun.

Maybe see you there?

Chef

Old 06-20-2006, 05:08 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Chef: Thanks for your well-informed answers. Yes I will be there on Sunday at 1pm, top level of D&B parking structure right? Are you going to BBQ? (Just kidding)

Old 06-20-2006, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: a3_yuppie

Chef: Thanks for your well-informed answers. Yes I will be there on Sunday at 1pm, top level of D&B parking structure right? Are you going to BBQ? (Just kidding)
No BBQ, but if you race me then you'll definitely be smelling smoke! LOL

Come and let's have some fun!!!

Old 06-21-2006, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

I have the APR exhaust and chip. Had all kinds of problems. Put in "latest" Audi fuel pump per other chip manufacturer suggestions (APR was no help) and car runs great! My local APR dealer dropped them. My ABS and ESP lights are going crazy and indicator light is on to check brake pads. 8500 miles. Who Knows? The ABS/ESP system may not be able to take the constant beating from all the extra power. I drive the car hard?
Switching to Eibach progressive rate springs soon. H&R are too harsh for everyday driving.
Scott
06 LAVA GREY
APR chip and exhaust
K&N
New Fuel Pump
H&R SPRINGS
H&R Rear Bar
Bilstein Sports

Old 06-21-2006, 12:13 PM

dscott,

How much of that 8500 miles is with the Chip or Chip/Exhaust? How long after the mods did you start having problems?

What fuel pump is the replacement?

Old 06-21-2006, 05:36 PM
SoCal Crew Member

This article is with reference to a GIAC reflash, but may / should be applicable to Revo and APR as well ...

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...hips&IL=a3chip

... because increased boost requires increased fuel delivery requires increase fuel pressure.

I am a little worried. T2T, dscott and one other member (I think?) are all have problems with APR. My A3 is pretty fast stock (either I am not as crazy as Chef & Audinam, or not having Open Sky really makes a noticeable difference) so I value reliability over additional performance. But there are no Revo dealers in the OC. Chef, which dealer chipped your car? Do they do free updates?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:23 PM

Eurocode Tuning in Torrance did my REVO chip. They do offer free software upgrades when available. The guys there have been really good to me. They do APR, REVO, and Neuspeed.

Either you have the Mod bug, or you haven't caught it yet. Just don't take that first step, there is no returning. You will always crave more power. It's an illness!

Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Dug up some 4 months old information comparing APR v. Revo c. Giac, not sure whether this is still valid...

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2459340

Quick Reply: "Chip" Questions / Thoughts