Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

06' Audi A3 DSG: Probem with Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
1st Gear
Default 06' Audi A3 DSG: Probem with Tranny?

Hey guys,

I bought my 2006 DSG A3 with 6,000 miles on it. It was originally bought by first ownerlate in 2006. It is certified Pre-Owned.

When I am in traffic (los angeles), and im stop-and-go around 0-20mph, im constantly switching between 1,2,3 gears.

1. The 3rd gear -> 2nd gear downshift is pretty rough, and my car kinda jumps forward.

2. The acceleration and decelleration while in 2nd gear is also not smooth, it feels as if my car is kinda hesitating or lurching forward and backwards while in 2nd gear from say 10-17

3. While in 1st or 2nd, and lets say i have my foot on the gas but take it off to drift at 15 mph, when i re-engage the gas pedal, there is some hesitation, or some lurching.

4. Occasionally while in 2nd in the same situation where i re-engage the gas after drifitng, I will get no movement for a split second and then BAM, a burst of power (thats the best i can explain it) hits and my car shoots forward.

Is there a problem withmy A3?

or is this how Turbo Cars / Audi A3 just drives?

I came from a Accord, LexusGS, AcuraMDX and this engine feeling has me driving really weridly, trying to avoid any damage to the tranny.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 06' Audi A3 DSG: Probem with Tranny?

Chef or somone please help! bump

Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

I have an '07 with DSG and I've had some similar experiences with mine. I'm the first owner, got it still wrapped in the plastic. I find that if I drive around in sport mode "S" it tends to do more of what you are talking about. When I'm in "D" it will do things like that on occassion. The car seems to shift very early with light throttle while in "D". So if you are doing say 30 mph in 4th or even 5th and go to get on it, the transmission will drop two gears and while that is happening the turbo is spooling up and peak torque is on demand as soon as it hits 2nd. It tends to jerk the car (shift hard) a little bit. Try going lighter on the throttle in a similar situation and see if it isn't smoother. I've had my car for about 9500 miles and I have to say this inherent to the vehicle, but maybe someone on here with more experience can share some wisdom. It's still under warranty so if you are losing sleep over it then I would go ahead and take it in. You'll have some piece of mind and the problem will be documented and if something happens to the car related to this problem after warranty expires then I believe they have to honor it.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:23 AM

Sorry I can't help. I'm a manual man, all the way!!! The DSG was very slick when I was test driving, but I knew that it wouldn't do for the life of the car for me.

Cheers!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

my ex has a passat 4motion with the tiptronic that behaved like that. i remember there was some sort of reflash thing they did to the transmission control module. it was a widespread issue in the b5 passats and there was a TSB about it, so it was a free repair. your description sounds like the same thing.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

I've been driving the DSG for a year now- It's great, but not perfect. Part of the entertainment is learning it's peculiarities.
There are 2 factors working here - lack of boost at a particular time is one. If you're off the pedal too long, the turbo spins down, no boost available.
The second is the DSG program - It keeps the next or the previous gear loaded behind an open clutch, depending on what it thinks you are needing. In light throttle situations, DSG often has the wrong gear loaded, creating the dreaded one second, lurching 'slugshift'.
The best way to avert these situations is to give the car an indication of what you're needing. If you're cruising steady in manual mode and need a downshift, give the car some throttle or brakebefore shifting. If you're in D and need some power, you can control the number of gears it shifts down simply with the distance and speed of your throttle application.
I've experienced 3 and 4 on your list - need more info on 1 and 2. My best recommendation would be to spend a day paying close attention to the DSG's actions, and maybe drive another one to make sure that yours is normal.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:28 PM

I like to select manual (+/-) 2nd gear when in heavy traffic, this prevents a lot of shifting, but if you have to slow to a stop it will downshift to one. I will sometimes use sport (S) if traffic is heavy, but moving along pretty well, shifts less and I can jump in to open spots[:@]. Sometimes I just get a little agressive. I would take it to be checked out if you are in doubt, no description can tell us exactly what your car is doing. This transmission is different from any other, but have the dealership check it out.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

I have the 3.2 and it does not appeared to have the issue you guys are having. Why don't you verify test the car in manual mode to see if it's due to low boost for your turbo. Or there might be something really wrong with your DSG. Anyways, you should be able to bring it in to your local Audi dealer to look at the problem.

One thing I don't like is when the car is in reverse but facing down hill. I have to gas a lot to get it moving. It takes even more effort if I letthe gas just a bitand gas again.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: imagine168
One thing I don't like is when the car is in reverse but facing down hill. I have to gas a lot to get it moving. It takes even more effort if I letthe gas just a bitand gas again.
Oh man, I hear ya on that! In fact, my 2.0T almost sounds like it's gonna stall out if I am in that situation and I let off the gas.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:59 AM
1st Gear

turns out to be the mechatronic, (valve body + somthing control)

theyre replacing it , warrantied

btw, so far, PENESKE AUDI is A+ in Service. I have owned a honda, Lexus, Nissan and Acura and this service is by FAR the best. Acura being worst.