Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 Windshield Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:20 AM
1st Gear
Default A3 Windshield Cracking

Newbie here.....2006 A3

last year, i had a crack in my windshield that started right off of the A Pillar on the passenger side, in the middle. moved its way across a bit, then headed down.

i wasnt sure what caused it. rock? brick? i do alot of highway driving, could have been anything.

anyway, got it replaced, and moved on. several months ago, i noticed ANOTHER crack start. again, i do alot of driving, could be anything, but what is odd is that started in what appears to be the exact same spot.

just wondering if anyone has had any, or heard of any, windshield cracking problems.

again, i do alot of driving, but the fact that is the same type of crack, starting in the same area, makes me think

thanx

Rizzo

Old 08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 Windshield Cracking

I think it's just a weird coincidence. Unless someone is messin' with you!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

If it's from a rock there should be some sort of impact mark, star, chip, etc.
Then the crack spreads from there.

If it's starting at one edge along the A-pillar with no sign of impact from a flying object, there might be some excessive flex or something occurring.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

Since I moved to Omaha from New Jersey, 19 years ago, I have replaced a windshield in every car that I've owned or leased at least once. [sm=headbang.gif]

So far notthe A3 but I'm not counting on it staying that way. There are always some stones being kicked up off the road here. I do a lot of driving but unfortunately one of my routes takes me past a rock quarry.There are trucks constantly pulling on the road from the quarryand spilling some stones and then kicking thedarn thingsup from the tires.

Also when the snow starts the snowplows put down salt and boulders (not normal rocks and sand)on the roadways.

It is oddit is cracking at the same point. I haven't read orheard anything about windshield cracking problems other than Audi windshields are prone to cracking and pitting. Like I said it didn't matter what kind of car I had the windshields broke here anyway.

Good luck and it is a pain in the azz.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

thanx guys

i too driveeveryday thru i-80 in nj.......for a long time. never had this kind of bad luck

there is no sign of a chip on the glass this time. first time, there was. only reason i bring it up is because its in the same spot....which had me thinking of some sort of pressure problem on the glass.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

So just make sure I have this right Your going on another windsheild becasue of a crack that looks to start fromt the same spot? You moved from NJ to Omaha? I have a feeling its not happening when you drive its when you aren't driving. So to the heat and humidity in that area and not venting your car when it sits when the AC kicks in its cooling a spot from the vent and which causes a small stress fracture in the glass that then will spread. It's notuncomman with cars that the cabin is well sealed. Suggestion slightly crack a rear window or sky roof if you have it.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 4RINGSROD

So just make sure I have this right Your going on another windsheild becasue of a crack that looks to start fromt the same spot?
correct

You moved from NJ to Omaha?
no, that was someone else

I have a feeling its not happening when you drive its when you aren't driving. So to the heat and humidity in that area and not venting your car when it sits when the AC kicks in its cooling a spot from the vent and which causes a small stress fracture in the glass that then will spread. It's notuncomman with cars that the cabin is well sealed. Suggestion slightly crack a rear window or sky roof if you have it.
it happened before we have had any heat or humidity. it happened several months ago, well before we got into the dog days of summer

Old 09-22-2007, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

i feel your pain. 7k on the car, 3 times in the past few months i've had rocks on the highway nic the windshield, each one has left a dink. When the weather starts getting colder i'm sure i'll see spreading....i was wondering myself how this car is a magnet for it!