Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Cap Discharge/ Immobilizer bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Cap Discharge/ Immobilizer bad?

So today I drove my 2007 a3 2.0T to work, just like normal. Everything worked fine and I got to work alright. About two hours later I went back to my car to go to an appointment and my car wouldn't (stay) started. It turned over but would cut off a second later. Also, my instrument cluster was more or less dead, the clock was the only display, no other indicators came on when I turned it over.

My husband is a VW tech so he came out to look at it. He checked all the fuses and took the instrument cluster out and re-connected it and still no luck. I also tried all three of my keys but they all gave the same results. So after a lot of troubleshooting I realized I would have to fork over a nice chunk of money to Audi to have this diagnosed and repaired- I already called for a tow trunk when my husband's co-worker texted him to try a cap discharge. He did this and it started working again, good as new. What I am concerned with is this might not be a permanent fix and something might be going bad (instrument cluster or immobilizer?). Has anyone had a similar problem/ situation with their Audi who could shed some light on this? I'd like to be prepared if it is inevitably going to break so I can save money for it.

Thanks