Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Dealer killed my code

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Default Dealer killed my code

So, I bring my A3 in for a satellite receiver replacement under warranty (the only reason I go to the dealer), and when I pick up the car, the service writer says: "while the car was here, we upgraded your software to the latest version." So, I look at him dumbfounded and ask what it was for and he replies "There was a service bulletin that some cars were getting false "check engine" lights... you won't notice a thing!"

Of course I want to say "You dick. I did not give you written permission to do anything but replace the sat receiver. You just killed my custom code." But of course I didn't. So now I have to wait for my software guy to get back from a trip.

Stock HP and torque really suck after you've lived with some decent power. And of course my fuel economy has dropped back down as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Dealer killed my code

hey i am new to this what do you mean by code how does it work and you were getting better gas mileage please let me know ..

thanks

Old 06-25-2008, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

I think he means his chip, some cars don't have the new audi ecu update so when you go in for service they usually update it and it erases your chip.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

The dealer is not anticipating you having chipped your car. Simply tell the service advisor you want the specified work and ONLY the specified work to be done.
I really can't fault them on this one, they were trying to go the extra step for customer service and satisfaction.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM

My dealer asked me if the car was chipped before they did the new update.
Of course they are the ones that did the programming, so they did the update then put the revo code back, so it wasn't too big of a deal, just took longer to get the car back.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

your dealer revo'd your car...?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:19 PM

technically I am sure the Motorsports group is considered a different company, but they work together and its pretty much seamless to the customer.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

Here in Taiwan the dealer will do ABT codes...including free updates and NO impact at all on the warranty!

Having the car chipped is a tricky thing with the dealer...best not to say...but on the other hand...for most cars updating the ECU is a service that would simply improve their car in all respects, so it would be something I would expect them to just do automatically. Best to confirm that ahead of time with your tuner shop...will they reflash for free. Mine said they wouldn't, then I wouldn't buy the chip...they changed their 'tune' and have updated me a few times with no cost.

I'm drooling over a 2009 TT 2.0TQ.....throw on a little ABT software and I'm there! Can't wait!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM

Actually "chipping" is a misnomer. The current process of upgrading the software for most cars is done through plugging into the ECU, sucking out the code, rewriting it (for improved power, better fuel economy, etc) and reloading. The term chipping comes from the old way of plugging in an actual preprogrammed "chip."