Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Need help to install new headunit, please..

Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Need help to install new headunit, please..

Hi,

I am installing a new head unit into my Audi A3. I currently have Concert radio with Bose fitted, however, I have got the necessary harness adapters from AutoLeads to fit to the bose AMP, aerial, etc. I am connecting to the Bose AMP from the RCA outputs of the new head unit. The adapters are: PC5-90, PC9-410.

I have taken the head unit out and had a look at the cables in the dash, now I am just unsure about how to connect some of the head unit connectors/wires.
Enclosed is a photo of the new head unit with the harness adapters connected (I believe correctly, but they did not come with any installation instructions : ) ) I have put questions onto the photo regarding the doubts I have as to what goes where.
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could look at the photo and educate me as to how to connect things up.
My main question is where do I connect the power connector in the dash to?

Thanks a lot,
Charles Gamble.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14838/BC12BA145F374ECAB495A32035418EA0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-09-2006, 03:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need help to install new headunit, please..

Hi,

Does anyone have any info at all on this ?

Thanks,
Charles.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need help to install new headunit, please..

What year of A3 do you have? It may make a difference. I replaced a concert unit with a Blaupunkt Nashville DAB35 in both a non-CANBUS and CANBUS A3, and had to modify the Autoleads harness to work in the CANBUS A3 as the CANBUS harness adapter cost £100 as opposed to £25 for the basic non-CANBUS cable. But this meant missing out on speed dependant sound (which I do miss), automatic illumination (i.e. headunit display brightness doesnt change when car headlights are turned on) etc.

The blue wire coming off the Mini-RCA connector would be the AMP remote, which is a wire to signal the amp to turn on and off. It is the same thing on the black power/speaker block, but as you assume is not needed here.

The power cable block and Mini-RCA should connect directly to the harness on the back of the stereo surround. Basically the harness that was connected to the back of the Concert headunit.

Look at the wiring diagram sticker on the Concert and the wiring diagram in the manual of your stereo should help you sort things out. It was a case of trial and error for me.

One point is that if CAN-L and CAN-H are pins shown on the wiring diagram of the Concert, you may need the CANBUS harness or will need to adapt the wiring to make the unit power up, and then make an additional mod - run a lead from the ignition in the fusebox to the headunit so that the stereo will turn on and off with ignition. Otherwise it would be hardwired to the battery and you would have to turn the stereo on and off automatically (my unit does turn itself off after an hour without ignition - which could be both good and annoying in this case).

Hope some of this makes sense!