Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New MP3 / iPod Option??

Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 AM
1st Gear
Default New MP3 / iPod Option??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...spagenameZWDVW

Has anyone seen this?? Is it worth giving it a shot for $100??

Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New MP3 / iPod Option??

10 dollars for the part and 90 dollars for shipping pisses me off and arises some doubts of how serious the salesperson is. [:@]

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

I tend to agree...even though I live in "Greater China"( ) I would be pretty skeptical of a product where 90% of the cost is shipping. For instance, say you are unsatisfied, ok, we will refund you the purchase price. Here is your $9.99 back sir, and thank-you for the $90 shipping fee that is non-refundable.

I use the OEM Audi Ipod connector. I have come to realize though, if you want a fully functional Ipod solution in your Audi, you need to change the Head Unit. And there, one involves trade-offs of increased functionality versus loss of OEM look, wiring hassles, connecting the steering wheel controls (virtually impossible from what I've read on various websites),and cost. Even worse, yesterday I test drove a brand new B8 A4...and even though the stereo uses a full colour 7 inch multimedia display, it still WON'T display track information, playlists etc from a connected Ipod. 3 or 4 years ago, Audi and Apple seemed to have a close relationship to integrate the Ipod. (The OEM connector a few years ago was state of the art!), but now, Audi's stereo people seem to think that 100 million plus Ipods in the hands of consumers is irrelevant to how they design their stereos. Sigh!

I'm still considering either the Sony W1 double din touch screen or the Pioneer Avic D3. Both look great and would look reasonably good in our cars. But, I've heard, neither is all that great with handling Ipod play lists. SIGH again! hahahaha! My car will play MP3 CDs, but...I have over 8000 songs in my ipod, that's still a lot of MP3 discs!!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

Stock ipod dock doesn't even work that well... It doesn't handle large play lists well at all. I have to create stupid play lists like 01rock 02trance 03hiphop to make sure those (up to 5) playlists show up at the top. I thought about getting pioneer d3, but i heard its bluetooth doesn't work as well as the stock bluetooth module. =(
I dont think there's any good solutions. Maybe the dension icelink?