Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Please Help! Audi A3 Battery Drain Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Default Please Help! Audi A3 Battery Drain Problem!

Hi

Can anyone help?

I have a mystery battery drain problem with my 1998 Audi A3 1.6 Sport. I've searched this forum and found a few other threads with people posting about a similar problem but nobody seems to have found a solution.
After not driving my car for a couple of days I went to start it up and the battery was completely flat. I called the AA who replaced the battery but also informed me there was a drain on the earth lead of 0.93/0.95 amps.
The next morning the car started ok and I was able to get to work but after finishing work I tried to start my car again and the battery was completely flat once more. I got a jump start and managed to get home but I'm now completely stuck and desperate for help.
I would be really grateful if anyone could throw some light on this one and help me out. Have any of you encountered this problem yourselves and how did you resolve it?

Many thanks

Dan

Old 07-16-2010, 03:37 PM

I had this problem less than a week ago on my 2007 A3 2.0T. I called Audi Roadside Assistance, and the guy they sent said that the charging unit was fine, the battery was draining of it's own accord when the car's engine was off. He suggested I change the battery, and I did and haven't had a problem since then. That may very well be your fix too. Best of luck!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by sjcarton
I had this problem less than a week ago on my 2007 A3 2.0T. I called Audi Roadside Assistance, and the guy they sent said that the charging unit was fine, the battery was draining of it's own accord when the car's engine was off. He suggested I change the battery, and I did and haven't had a problem since then. That may very well be your fix too. Best of luck!
Thanks for your reply. I did get a new battery put in by the AA but with no joy. However I am pleased to say I have now resolved the problem. My mechanic really went to town on the car and checked absolutely everything. He eventually found that the alternator had a short and that was draining the battery. He put a new one in and I've had no further problems for the last few days.
Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem. Happy motoring!