Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Potential New Buyer of Audi A3

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Default Potential New Buyer of Audi A3

Hi everyone Im new to this forum:

Test drove and and am now really thinking about getting one of these, however I do have some questions and I thought maybe I could find my answers here. I am currently driving a 2002 Honda Accord V6 Coupe 6M. The car has become impractical for me and I think my arm is broke from shifting and DSG was just way too fun and I love the 4-banger turbo. It's something different. People keep saying the new BMW 3-Series but I love this car way more and I love Audi hatchback/wagon design and its a lot more practical.

What I think I want to get:

A3 2.0T w/ DSG
Black / Sport Pkg. / Open Sky Sys. / Bi-Xenon / Conv. Pkg w/Bluetooth / Nav.
*Also want to change the wheels to the Calera style and adding F&R spoilers and side skirts

I'm buying in the US so consider that when answering:

1) While doing some reading on this car I decided to visit the Audi UK website just to see what the difference was. I knew there would be quite a few more models, but I saw that there was an S-Line and I'm wondering what the difference is in that one vs. just having the Sport Package other than the wheels, which I noticed was different. I'm trying to get the car as sporty as it can be aesthetically and in its mechanics because I won't be allowed to do any of that afterwards (sigh...Parents). And plus I think it voids warranties.

2) I know that there isn't a 2.0T quattro in the US and especially not one with DSG anywhere only 6M. Is there a reason for why they don't do it or is it something that just isn't out yet? And also is it worth it to have the quattro or does it make the car weaker having to share the power?

3) Is it worth it to get the Audi Navigation Plus? I guess I mean is it worth $2K? I usually hate Nav, but sometimes you just wish you had it.

And I think that's all I had to ask. I'm really picky about cars. I choose all the cars in the family and so I get really picky about every little thing and so far everything about the A3 is perfect except for the lack of quattro in the 2.0T unless I find that out to be a weak point for the vehicle.

Thanks Everyone.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:51 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Potential New Buyer of Audi A3

ORIGINAL: tiwenzo

2) I know that there isn't a 2.0T quattro in the US and especially not one with DSG anywhere only 6M. Is there a reason for why they don't do it or is it something that just isn't out yet? And also is it worth it to have the quattro or does it make the car weaker having to share the power?

3) Is it worth it to get the Audi Navigation Plus? I guess I mean is it worth $2K? I usually hate Nav, but sometimes you just wish you had it.

Hi, Welcome!

My comment to your question 2) and 3).

2) Soon you will see 3.2 quattro DSG in the US market. If you have enough budget, that'll be the best choice !!
However I still love my A3 2.0T DSG. you can really feel and enjoy "6.5 second in 0-60 mph" performance.

3) My A3 has Navigation Plus. I love it because it fits perfectly in the dash. Also Audi navigation system displays additional nav info in the front instrumental panel (between tachometer and speedometer). It's limited information, but really helpful along with voice navigation system. (Voice system is one-way, though.)

Old 12-04-2005, 06:59 PM

Hey thanks for responding!

I know the 3.2 quattro DSG is coming here, but the 2.0T is just a much cooler engine. I want that turbo in the car and the fuel efficiency that the smaller engine gives. Even in my Honda sometimes I just feel like it sucks up so much gas. However my dealership has called me and told me that they have a 3.2 quattro coming in and that I could test drive it. I wonder if they figure that the 2.oT quattro isn't powerful enough to be introduced to the US. So hopefully I can get an even better feel for what I want after I test drive the 3.2 quattro and see if the price is worth it. I've always believed that the small turbo engine has been Audi's best unless you get an S or RS.

About the Nav. I think I will just get the Nav, seems like it should be useful enough. The thing I was thinking about was that my parents both have Mercs and they also have Nav and sometimes that thing is a pain in the *** to use and they hardly ever use it. But I think I will go with it. Not sure of the usefulness of adding the convenience package, but whatever. Especially the bluetooth part. I like the neat system they integrated into the screen.

Well we shall see. Thanks for the response, hope to chat more.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

I agree with you. You say you like small but efficient engines. As you know, 2.0T FSI Technilogy came from Audi's "Le Mans" Racing Technology. When I came back from my first A3 test dirve, I couldn't stop smiling. I've never driven 3.2T quattro with DSG, but I think the combination between 2.0T FSI and DSG is one of the best set-ups in the current US market.

Let us know your comment after your test drive with 3.2 quattro.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 PM

That is what is making me get the A3 over everything else. The only other car I was considering was the Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT. However, after driving both cars the A3 is a lot more fun especially with the very low end torque which reduces any turbo lag feel and the DSG transmission, both of which the Subaru lacks. Can't wait to drive the 3.2 quattro, but I don't believe I will consider getting it at all, because its so pricey for a minor difference, and it doesn't seem that much more powerful and I wonder what the MPG it gets on it being a bigger engine and all wheel drive.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Get the AUDI A3!

I just got mine after months of research.

It's a real value for the features and AUDI quality you get. Many people say that is just an expensive VW but that's not true. The AUDI is so well thought out, there are so many features that the even the dealers are unaware of. Hundreds of little details, eg. passenger side mirror tilts down when you back up to help you see the curb, one touch vs. manual control on all windows, automatic fresh air and recirculation with sensor that detects pollution and shuts off incoming air, etc etc etc.
It also has the highest crash ratings in its class, traction control, side/curtain/front airbags.
It handles like sport compact with utility of a wagon. Roof racks are an option if you need to transport bigger things. I have 2 kids and it's still big enough, but then I hate big cars and refuse to drive minivans.

BTW, my other car is a subaru impreza, I was always sold on AWD but it's really overated unless you rally or deal with a lot of gravel roads or snow. The the traction stability will keep you out of trouble in those condtions and on normal roads FWD gives nice oversteer!

Old 03-22-2006, 04:04 AM
1st Gear

How do you get the mirror to tilt on reverse? I could not figure this out.