RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

Potential Audi RS6 Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Default Potential Audi RS6 Buyer

I'm about to buy an RS6 with 36k miles, but I have some concerns about the performance... This may sound silly, but compared to some of the other cars I've had, a 911 turbo and a C5 Vette, the acceleration was not that impressive (or didn't seem impressive).

The only reason i'm buying the rs6 is to really drive it, so i'm wondering if maybe the AWD and broad power band have something to do with the "average-feeling" acceleration. The vette and the 911, mainly the 911, would snap your head back when you get on it... I didn't get this feeling when I test drove the rs6... The acceleration was really drama free... It just didn't feel like a 4 and a half second car...

I'm concerned that it's not being sold by an Audi dealer, and that the dealer has little knowledge on the service history of the car other than it supposedly had its timing belt replaced and recently had new brakes/rotors put on.

Can some rs6 owners give me some insight into the performance of the car? Is the acceleration deceiving in that you think you're doing 60 and you're already doing 90?

This may sound silly but what's the point of paying $30k for an 03 Audi A6...

Old 12-22-2008, 04:43 AM
1st Gear

well a chip should change you're point of view, they are incredibly fast if chipped they gain a lot of hp just by upping boost i really like the rs6 its classy yet fast, cant beat that combination however i hear maintenance is quite expensive

Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Default Somethings wrong

Certainly compared to the 911 Turbo (assuming 996 or later) the RS6 isn't quite as fast, but compared to a C5 vette, it should be noticeably faster. There are lots of reasons it could be slower than it should. Go search RS6.com or AudiWorld, plenty of info on those. Personally, when I got mine, I had the same impression. Turned out I had a rat's nest in the right air intake so I was running on about 65% power. Obviously you need to get a pre-purchase inspection and that may turn up the problem.

If you're used to 911 turbos and vettes but looking for a daily driver, you'd be hard pressed to find a better car than the RS6. Make sure you can afford the maintenance and generally don't buy one without some form of warranty. Enjoy.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 PM

I strongly agree that the RS6 will eclipse any Vette short of a Z06. I too have had several 911 Turbos. The RS6 doesn't have that neck snapping acceleration, nor the extreme power oversteer potential. What it does allow is for normal people to really exploit a performance car to its limits. It also sounds a lot better than any liquid cooled 911 Turbo could ever hope to. For a daily driver it also cannot be beat. You can drive it in any weather (as you can a C4 but the ground clearance issues will stop you) and feel safe. You can take friends along for the ride. And, it also won't get the attention on the highway (what did I do, officer?) that a Turbo will.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
SoCal Crew Member

the vett would more likely snap your head back... i've driven the turbo and the tubos need just a sec to spool and that thing pulls soo smooth.... so why the rs6? need passanger room? looking for awd? if not what about an E55 amg? or an rs4? or an ISF....

i love the rs6..... but the chip is extremely expensive and you don't gain much more.... it's a heavy beast maxing out at 500hp(unless serious modding is in store...$$$$)

Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 AM

Well it's been 4 months and 4,000 miles... And it was in the shop for 2 weeks in January.

About a week after I got it, the malfunction light went on and the diagnosis was I needed a new torque converter. I'm glad I got a warranty with the car...

Anyway, the thing is almost too comfortable at speed. I live in PA, which is very speeder friendly to begin with, and near the end of the Northeast Extension part of the Turnpike which is largely unpatrolled and untrafficked (if that's a word...). You can cruise at 100-110 all day... There is some wind noise above 140 and it'll hit 160 with about 1500 RPM left to redline... I also love that when I have it in sport, it holds 4th gear til 110 even if i'm just cruising.

As far as the acceleration goes, the car seems completely different in sport mode as compared to regular drive. It always downshifts at the right time, and exit and onramps are a blast... The power is always on tap, and as big as it is, it feels like a go kart. I've never thought sport modes make much of a difference, but it surely does in this car.

Personal Injury Attorneys