Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Radiator fans, should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Radiator fans, should I be concerned?

Hi. I had a problem where the small radiator fan was not going off on my A3 auto/deisel with AC which was diagnosed as faulty by a garage. Didnt want to spend £360 for them to replace it so I replaced it myself (the whole fan board with 2 fans) with a unit a purchased from a breaker. After I connected the fan last week and fired up the engine the fans werent running so I believed something was wrong. I reconnected my old fan and just the one that was not going off ran, so I reconnected the replacement I had bought and went for a short run with the AC on and about 1/3 of a mile away opened the bonnet and the fans were working, so I thought all OK.
The car is mostly used for short journeys within 5 miles and mostly at weekends as I recently started a new job within a mile and half from home.
During the week I drove out to play football and on the way back home noticed a electrical burning type smell (could be coincidence as not noticed it again) so opened the bonnet and the fans werent running. The temperature was fine on the gauge though but I was concerned about the fans and decided to take the car to a garage at the weekend to check it out. On Saturday I went out to do this but noticed that when the AC is on the fans start up, not immediately but after a few minutes.
Does anyone know if this is normal?
I am concerned that I dont have problems when we go on a longer run.