Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Sline Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Sline Suspension

Is it worth upgrading from A3 2.0 Sline suspension to H&R Coil Over Suspension Kit?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Sline Suspension

I changed mine 3 weeks ago with KW Variant 3s. Is it worth it? YES!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

how is the ride compaired with stock?

MSRP?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

I did it with the A3 version sold by AWE. Ride certainly stiffer. Guess it depends what kind of driving you do. Bunch of bucks to jar the family jewels if it's a daily driver without twisty drives. Notbeing negative about the product, it would be great if you could get atest drive with a buddybefore you buy.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

Actually, the KW variant 3s are truly a dream.

I have mine set on medium. I drive on fairly bumpy roads. I do a lot of in traffic driving, fair bit highway, and some fun mountain routes! (love my job!) For the performance aspects, the car has not appreciable body roll, no squat, improved traction on launch, and it just eats up the corners like an animal. It is an inspiring ride, very predictable, and very controlled, even when pushed hard.

For everyday driving, I have 2 kids under 2, they are in baby seats, and a picky wife. My wife did not notice that I had changed anything to the suspension, she still thinks the car has a very nice ride. There is no jarring, and honestly, in regular driving I can't tell a difference in terms of harshness...but the performance is right there if I have to hit the brakes hard, veer to avoid a cavernous Taipei City pothole, or change lanes in a hurry to get around someone. So in other words, the KWs bring out a lot of the performance of the frame, and to me, unnoticeable consequences in terms of ride comfort.

The car is also lowered substantially, and I have had no issues with rubbing etc. (still stock 17" rims) I have scraped twice on parking ramps where the angle is around 45 degrees (And no, I'm not exaggerating, they are pretty scary even without lowering a car!)

KW offers variants 1, 2, 3. Three has the most adjustability, height, compression and rebound dampening. V1 everything is pre-set except height(but set specifically for the application) and V2s let you adjust the compression. I have the 3s, and it allows you to tailor the setup for your preferences and roads.

I think the cost ranges from around $1200US for the 1s, to about $2000 for the V3s. I got my installed, corner weighted, and aligned (3 weeks after the installation to allow for settling) for $2100 here in Taipei.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm very happy with the KWs and confident in recommending them to others.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

Ithink everybody agrees that KW var 3s are very close to the best overall setup available, but probably not the best value, which belongs to the Koni coilover setup or it's first cousin, Stasis Streetsports. H&R makes fine products (their coilover inserts are made by Bilstein), but the lack of at least compression adjustability can get frustrating if you want to really tune the car to your driving style. Vogtland also makes great products, with Koni-produced adjustable pieces and their own lightweight springs.

Are any of them worth it over the S-Line? What is 'great' worth to you over 'very good'? Do you autocross or track the car? What is 'best' worth over'great'? Those are your questions to answer.

For me, the wheel hop on launch even under street conditions and the slightly high-water look are enough for me to want coilovers. And Konis or Stasis will get me where I want to be. If I were serious about autocrossing the car, then KW Var 3s would be on the car in a heartbeat.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

nice TPE
You almost sold me.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

In terms of ride height is there are big difference? I want a setup that is good for daily driving for the LA area. Because right now I love the sline suspension, I just want a it to be lowered a little bit. Im planning to buy 18 inch Oettinger RE in the future with Big brake kit probably the stoptech brand.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

I think panzrwagon accurately summarizes the merits of KWs versus others.

For me, the extra performance and adjustability of the KWs really set them apart; I can get exactly the suspension I want.
Grrrrrr..... the height is totally up to you on the KWs. Here is a picture of my car....there is still more drop in the rear, and tons more drop in the front. For the street, this is a good position though!
Name:  DSC02759.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  133.1 KB
Name:  DSC02758.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  129.5 KB
Name:  DSC02756.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  113.3 KB

Thus, for me, and for others thinking about installing coilovers, the choice is "Why swap out a perfectly good suspension that I already paid for when I bought the car?" So I added what I estimated to be the cost of the Audi springs etc plus the 3rd party coilovers. When viewed from this perspective, the $500 difference between the Konis and KWs is less. That does not mean that Konis are still not the optimal solution. Just for me, I was willing to pay the extra to have the adjustability.

I think it also depends on the opportunity cost too. How much time is it going to take you to get the extra money? How long will you use the suspension? What else could you do with that money, would that use bring your more satisfaction than the marginally better performance of the KWs?

OK, economics class dismissed. Go KW and you will be one happy camper!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replys !!! I might get the Bilstein or the H&R. Nice Car TPE!