Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Too many buttons!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Too many buttons!

So I have a bit of confusion about these 2 climate control buttons. The buttons on top and below "econ". When you press the button on top of econ, climate control goes into circulation mode? and when you press the one below Econ, climate control is auto based on how polluted inbound air is? How well does it work? Will using full auto mode (the big Auto button) switch to circulation when it senses nasty air?

I did read the manual but still not 100% about their functionalities. Can someone clarify please?

Old 04-01-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Too many buttons!

I've only been driving my A3 for a week and I'm still confused with all the buttons. So far I leave it on Auto or if it's nice enough I'll turn on Econo to save some gas. I always bring in fresh air and change my inside filters every 6 monthes. If I see something ahead that I think will stink (smokeetc) I'll turn on recirc on till I pass thru.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

The button on above ECON with just the circular arrow recycles the air (meaning no fresh air). The button blow ECON with the circular arrow and the "A" automatically shifts from letting fresh air in or recycling the air depending on the condition of the air outside. Using the Auto function always lets fresh air in.

That's my interpretation of the manual based on usage for about a year.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: omnimofo

So I have a bit of confusion about these 2 climate control buttons. The buttons on top and below "econ". When you press the button on top of econ, climate control goes into circulation mode? and when you press the one below Econ, climate control is auto based on how polluted inbound air is? How well does it work? Will using full auto mode (the big Auto button) switch to circulation when it senses nasty air?
I don't think the auto-recirc function works spectacularly well, but maybe its doing an OK job unobtrusively, sinceI haven't noticed much in the way of unpleasant air in the car. There have been one or two times that I saw smoke ahead, and just used the manual recirc button, rather then waiting (and hoping) for the auto version.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

i hav horrible allergies so if i want NO outside air what do i do

Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: austina3

i hav horrible allergies so if i want NO outside air what do i do
The "pollen filter" is intended to take out many of the air contaminants that would affect you. Note that this filter should be replaced at 20K intervals. You may want to replace it more often.

I suggest that you keep the auto-recirc button pressed (which is recommended in the Owner's Manualfor all of us). You do NOT want to be operating continuously in recirculation mode (= no outside air), because the defroster system will be ineffectiveor worse, and actually CAUSE window fogging if always on.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

thanks it worked !!