Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Soma Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Default Soma Advice please

Hello everyone! I am planning to buy the A3 sportback 2.0TD with S-line interior and exterior. What I want to do is get my own front piece for the stereo. I was thinking about the Kenwood ones which have the 7' LCD monitor which pops out. my question is, would I have any problems installing that in my Audi since I will have the BOSE speaker system installed already by the factory. Would the bose system work correctly even if I have my own front piece as my stereo and not the factory one they give me....thanx in advance

Old 05-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Default RE: Soma Advice please

your clip off front wont fit the other system you have to change the lot

Old 05-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Default RE: Soma Advice please

I was told that, they can leave the DINS empty and order it without a stereo and get my own. My worry is that are the other stereos sold out there compatable with my BOSE speakers

Old 05-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Default RE: Some Advice please

never really gone Ito it as I never use the radio the engine sound is my radio, I would take it to an audio fitter and check for your own satisfaction otherwise you will waste money

Old 05-13-2006, 11:11 PM

You want Soma advice?

Soma is a muscle relaxer and has some addictive properties. Not bad if you're recovering from back problems, otherwise stay away.

If you plan on replacing the stereo then order the least to no stereo if possible. I've gone through messing with Bose, JBL, and Monsoon systems with replacing head units and speakers and I've always ended up scraping everything stock and going after-market. Just buy the Bose and maybe replace just the sub, or do everything on your own.

Just my opinion.

Cheers!

Chef

Old 05-19-2006, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

don't konw about the new a3's...but...

bought my '97 a4 with bose, in order to put a new head unit, had to tear out all the bose stuff. Bose is actually pretty cheaply made, and not made to handle large amounts of power like an aftermarket head unit puts out. I.e. Some bose speakers only handle 2ohms, where your average head unit puts out 4ohms. So in order to run a new head unit, you have to get new speakers (and pull out/disengage the bose amplifier that is small and just runs the subwoofer). If you neeeed the head unit, then go for it. In retrospect, i would have rather kept my bose stereo intact, and saved the money. Obviously my car sounds 10x better now with eclipse head unit, eclipse rears, and mb quart front speakers, RF amp, and 2 12' jl's in the trunk, but that's after what like, 1700$? so, if sound is key, then replace the whole lot, but if the bose is 'pretty darn good' to your ears, then please keep it.

Please note again, this i know is true of bose stuff in the b5's, but may not even be relevant in the b7's. Word.

-chris