Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Torn between two A3 purchase options! Help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Default Torn between two A3 purchase options! Help.

After WAAAY too much research, have narrowed my choice to two cars...but am torn on the trade-offs.

Car 1: 2009 2.0 Quattro priced in $27,500 range. Premium package and sunroof. I'm actually not a sunroof fan because I don't like the mesh options that don't allow me to totally block out the sun (and surprisingly I have found no aftermarket solid screens), but I can learn to live with it. I can't remember when I have last opened the one on my RX. Handles great and gets 23 mpg.

Car 2: New 2011 TDI. Premium Plus, Convenience package. Would order without sunroof. Priced in $32,000 range. Gets 35mpg.

My driving is probably only 7000/yr, so TDI economics are mainly the feel good over having an efficient car. I do normal around town driving...will the Quattro ever "kick in"? Will I notice the lack of Quattro with the TDI? TDI seemed to have lots of nice pickup and performance as well, but maybe a bit less than Quattro.

In three years, one will be out of warranty. At this time, which would I "lose" more money on if I trade in or sell?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

Financially you are always better off buying a low milage used car. Check kbb.com for resale values.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Default no necessarily so...

I actually find that for many newer cars (2010, 2009), I can buy brand new from motivated dealers across the US for significantly less than many used are dealers are asking for the same car. Example... I can but the new 2011 TDI for less than any other listed used 2010 TDI out there.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

If you ski/need the quattro I would get the 2.0T Quattro. I have a 2008 a3 3.2 (2nd gen haldex) and the quattro does not kick in as harshly like 1st gen haldex unless you are in fairly inclement driving conditions. Under normal driving conditions 85% of the tq is sent to the front and 15% to the rear tires, just enough to let you drive around like an A-hole and not lose the back end (unless you have crappy tires). Trust me on this, I have put my car through it's paces. Most times when the tq moves around due to minor slippage you wont hardly notice unless you're in snow.

Now if you don't have inclement weather where you live or you don't ski/board/whatever then I surely would go with the TDI. And not the Audi, I would get the golf. I have seen many a TDI engines outlast the cars surrounding them and I would MUCH rather have to replace parts on a VW at 100,000 miles (which is about the break in point for a TDI engine, they can last easily past 200,000 and up to 300,000 miles) than an Audi - again trust me on this, I am on my second Audi........

Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

With dedicated snow tires (love my Dunlop Wintersports), I haven't missed Quattro, including skiing and other winter excursions. When other cars were putting on chains, I just drove by without even the "tire slip" light showing up. Quattro has its advantages, but it also has penalties of extra weight and drag, so it always affects your gas mileage.

If it were me with your choice, I'd probably pick the TDI and get the car with the options I prefer.

An easy solution to the solid screen for Opensky is to get a folding windshield screen and cut to fill the shape of the Opensky openings.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 AM

I hope I'm safe in assuming that you aren't going to be drag racing, so I think the even lower (if it's freakin' possible!) upshifts in the TDI and the lower optimal RPM found in any diesel engine won't hinder your around-town driving. Get the TDI. I'm going to have to agree with dfrost, you're gonna be much happier with the options YOU want in a car that was yours from the start. If I could've afforded a brand new A3, I would've been able to get it exactly how I wanted it (including a manual transmission, d'oh!)