Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Used the wrong oil

Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Used the wrong oil

Did something really stupid last night. I was at Walmart and picked up my usual Mobil 1 oil when I noticed that Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic 5W-30 was a solid $10 less for the 5 quarts. I plum forgot about the 502 VW rating and went ahead with it. Changed it last night at my parents' in CT, then drove to work in NJ this morning with it (~125 milles). When I finally pulled off the highway I realized that things just didn't sound right. Drove home (~10 miles) tonight and it didn't sound bad, but not normal.

So what have I done? I don't have a place to change the oil again down here nor the time to do it this week, so I'll probably have to hit up a Jiffy Lube. Hopefully tomorrow morning. But I want to know if I've done something unspeakable to my engine, or if it's not really that bad. Be honest - and feel free to call me a jacka-- if you'd like.

Thanks!
Emmett

Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

hope you got it changed asap. could be doing major damage to the engine, especially after 125 miles. oil is supposed to protect engine parts, so if it's the wrong kind, then there goes that protection.

i'd let it drain out for a long time to make sure all the old stuff is out, then maybe even flush it through a little with vw 502 oil before adding the final oil you'll be using. good luck!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

After not hearing back on the forum, I had a local shop change out the oil (I don't have anywhere to do it myself here) with mobil 1 and a new filter a few days and ~40 miles later. The next time I went to my parents' house (~1500 miles later) I changed it again w/ Mobil 1, filter + seafoam, let it run for an hour or so, then changed it again with mobil 1 and a filter. I've put ~800 more miles on since then.

But it still doesn't sound right. The diesel-like knocking sound is much louder than it used to be, and way more pronounced while creeping around parking lots in 1st. There's also a high pitched whine throughout most of the rpm range, particularly noticeable when exiting highways (slowing down from speed). But, and this is the important part, when I disengage the clutch the engine sounds smooth as silk - no knocking, no whine, no nothing as I rev it all the way to red line.

So now I'm worried about my tranny. Anyone have something similar happen? I've got a 6sp, not a DSG.

Last edited by ejl10; 09-06-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Revving an engine with no load proves very little, as there is much less force exerted on the engine parts. I seriously doubt using the wrong oil for 125 miles caused any damage. The main reason for the VW 502 rating is to prevent VW/Audi engines from sludging up (mostly due to poor engine design). Sludge build up takes thousands of miles to get to the point that it affects lubrication.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 AM
1st Gear

Took it to Eurotech in Mahwah NJ yesterday. The mechanic (Ryan) said it's definitely the tranny and unrelated to my little oil snafu - just a coincidence that they happened at the same time. Possibly the differential but hard to say exactly without taking it apart. We threw a stethoscope on it, and it was just clunking all over the place. But for the moment the car is still driving. While up on the lift he also noticed that the radiator has started to leak pretty badly.

He told me it would run $1875 (used w/ 90k, 66 day warranty) to $2600 (Audi reman) for the tranny, $600 for the labor, another $600 for the radiator (all in), and that i should put a new clutch in while the tranny's off for $1100 ($400 kit + $700 flywheel) since I have 103k on the car. With that in mind he suggested I drive straight to a dealer and trade it in.

What do you think?

Last edited by ejl10; 09-06-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

Did you flush the engine while the oil is out? Take the pan off, let the oil pump suck from another source of new oil and run the car. This way, all molecular traces of the old oil should be gone. Or if you are worried abt that oil stuck in the nooks and crannies, take the head cover off and hose the top of the engine with additional oil while the car is running.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

Thanks LWNY... That's helpful for flushing the engine. Hopefully I never need to do it, though! Any thoughts on my post from yesterday? I'm especially interested in comments on whether or not to replace the clutch while the tranny is off. Not sure I'm quite ready to buy a new car just now.

Thanks!