Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong oil!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Default Wrong oil!!!!

Hi, my friend just got his car A4 quattro 2003 (used). He had this blinking light for the oil and he went to have an oil change to some gas station. Next day the car was making a funny noise when he was driving at a lower speed and then it suddenly stopped!. I went with him to the dealer where he got it and they checked it and told him that some1 put the wrong oil in it. Now my friend is pissed off cuz they might have to replace the engine. Now my question is that how bad could the wrong oil damage the engine (the oil was something with the number 30, i dont remember well wat my friend said), what damages it causes? and can the engine be fixed at this point? any opinions about this...

Old 09-25-2006, 01:24 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Wrong oil!!!!

this is why i do the oil myself. and if i have to have some other place do it i watch them very closely. even if you supply the oil, like say mobil 1 syntec, if you dont watch them put it in they might just shelve that **** and put in their cheap stuff. never trust people you dont know to work on your audi, they aren't like hondas or fords or anything and require extra care and attention. oil is the lifeblood of your engine and putting in the wrong stuff is like getting a blood transfusion with someone with a completely different bloodtype as you. not good to say the least.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:58 AM
3rd Gear

Dont really know how they could tell the weight or type of oil by looking at it. In any event i dont see the wrong weight or type of oil causing problems that quick. Even if they used really thick oil i wouldnt expect the engine to just selft destruct like that.

The key is the blinking oil light. That means there was either low oil level or low oil pressure. Either of which can destroy and engine very quickly.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:42 PM

Thanks for your replies... yeah the blinking oil light was there before and after the oil change. how does the oil pressure damage the engine? im new at this and i want to help my friend cuz he'll have to pay for the damages and probably the replacement of the engine which is i think over 10K!!...

Old 09-25-2006, 01:47 PM
4th Gear

If the oil is not getting circulated through the engine properly from things like (low oil, to thick of oil, or bad oil pump) then you have BIG problems. Best way to explain what happens is have sex with no lube what so ever!

Old 09-25-2006, 03:18 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: new2me
Best way to explain what happens is have sex with no lube what so ever!
[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

ouch man thats some serious chaffage

Old 09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Site Moderator

Pistons move in cylinders. Friction causes heat, heat causes expansion. Without oil to lubricate the pistons they will jam. CRUNCH

Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Could be sludge buildup blocking circulation if the last owner never ran synthetic. Turbos just cook the hell out of dino oil. I'm assuming this guy has the 1.8T. If not, nevermind.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:40 AM
4th Gear

Your friend had a problem before the car was taken in for the oil change. The blinking oil light indicated no oil pressure.

Another lesson in what happens if you don't listen to your car and drive with your oil pressure light on.

The engine had sludge in it blocking the pickup screen of the oil pump. The engine is seized and will need to be replaced. If he is lucky and can get receipts for all the oil changes, Audi MAY fix it. I am assuming that this is a 1.8T

Old 11-16-2017, 03:59 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005 Audi S4

Had my son's 2005 Audi S4 oil change done. 50 miles after that oil change, the engine seized.
Found out they company used a Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Heavy Duty engine oil which is designed for diesel engines only. (Catapillers, Front End Loaders, etc...)
According to the Audi website, this oil is not on the "approved" oils to be used.
Very thick oil!! Upper valve shaft broke due to no oil.

Is there anyone out there that can help with this? Looking for explanation.... This shop told me that this oil would not have caused that to happen even though it is the wrong oil.