Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Wired FM Modulator Installation Help (making AUX-IN for ur stereo).

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Wired FM Modulator Installation Help (making AUX-IN for ur stereo).

Does anybody know how to install FM modulator or to be specific, Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator on 06-07 A3?

I've search for many A3 DIYsites but I haven't found one yet.

If anyone knows, please let me know or post a link to it.

Your help is greatly apprecited!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:29 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: FM Modulator Installation.

I don't think that's gonna work in the A3... Are you keeping the factory stereo? Google Metra 40-VW53 and look at the pic, it is an adapter to convert the factory antenna to an aftermarket stereo. The A3's stock antenna uses a non-standard (in the US anyway) plug.

Now if you were installing an aftermarket stereo, your modulator would work along with this adapter, but I doubt you're going aftermarket if you're using an FM modulator to gain an input.

Try searching for an FM modulator specifically for European cars.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

I bought the following items for around $65.

When you buy Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulatorfrom Crutchfield,
it adds these required tools (I think one these is mentioned in the reply) when you add modulator in the cart.

My question is now then how do i connect power line
(blue line from pic right above& red and black line from the switch in first pic).

I pulled my factory stereo out and I had hard time figuring this question out.
If anybody have any idea, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear

Ah, I see now. Crutchfield is very good about giving you any adapters needed to fit your car.

The power for both the amplified antenna adapter and the FM modulator would normally be tapped from a switched 12v source (switched = on when the ignition is on). The A3 does not have a switched power for the head unit (it uses the CAN information bus to turn the radio on and off) so you're going to have to use the constant power that goes to the head unit. Do you have a multimeter or a test light? I don't remember what color wire the A3's power is, but I can try to find out if you aren't able to test the wires.

Unplug the antenna lead from the head unit and hook it up like this:

factory antenna lead -> amplified antenna adapter (the one with the blue wire coming out) -> FM modulator -> 90 degree antenna adapter -> head unit

Then you'll splice the power leads for the modulator and the amplified antenna adapter into the constant 12v in the factory harness. You don't have to worry about fusing the connection, there is already a fuse in the car for this wire.

It would also be a good idea to run the power for the modulator and antenna adapter through the switch that's pictured; since you'll be using a constant power source you'll want the switch so you can cut the power when the car is off.

Where are you located? If you're in Florida or south Georgia I'd be happy to help you. I'm not sure if this is all making sense the way I'm phrasing it.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

BAMF,
You are awesome!
Thanks alot for your very detailed guide.
Since I am some what (very little) familiar with wiring,it made good sense to me.
I will try this coming saturday and I will keep you updated, if any, with further questions.
I never did splicing before but Ilearnedthe concept back when I was in jr. high. (mil. yrs ago),
andI found a clip about splicing. So this should help implementing ur advices.

I live in IL so I don't think I'll have the previliage of getting your help, but I really appreciate your offer.
Thanks again and keep on doing great job helping fellow A3ers!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear

I'm glad I could help!

If you run into issues splicing into the factory harness, or if you don't want to chance it, Scotch Locks work really well and are very easy.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Scotch Lock!
I've found a page with item you mentioned (click).
Please let me know if I am on right page with you &or if you know a better place to get this item.
Thanks one more time.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear

Yep, that's them. You can find them at just about any hardware store, auto parts store, or Wal-Mart. You can get a pack of them for probably under $2.