Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 2.8 quattro A4 NO REVERSE PLEASE READ.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:06 PM
1st Gear
Default 1998 2.8 quattro A4 NO REVERSE PLEASE READ.

So about a week ago we had a bad rain storm. My gf was driving home from work made a stop turned the car off when she got back in there was no reverse she put it back into park waited a few mins and then it worked enough to back out and get home. The gear lights did not light up as to signify "limp mode". I checked codes and the only tranny code I have is a brake light switch. I looked around the net and found info saying the neutral safety switch may have gotten wet. I unhooked the battery and checked everything out. Both tranny connectors had water in them so I cleaned them all out let them dry put it all back together. Hooked the battery up ran the TB adaptation, idle control, and the kick down for the engine and tranny but I still had no reverse. I ordered a safety switch to replace the thought to be bad one. So today I started her up popped it into reverse for ***** and to my surprise I have reverse now???? Can anyone give any insight on this? When I didn't have reverse the selector would read N when I shifted into reverse and 2 3 4. this is an automatic Quattro 2.8. Monitoring the tranny with Ross-tech VCDS I can see that it is shifting and all info appears to be normal. Could this be a malfunctioning solenoid? Thank you in advance!! CHEERS!

Last edited by Crookedtoad; 05-25-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear

I'm going to venture a guess and say the TCM may have gotten soaked and finally dried out.....but, here's a little link with some more information for you which may or may not help...the guy had the same issue originally....

http://www.justanswer.com/audi/7z0ho...t-quattro.html

Old 05-25-2014, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Thank you and Ya it sounds like we are having the same issue. I replaced the safety switch just because, it all seems to work fine now. My abs and brake light on the dash is on as well. I didn't think the problem was related as stated in the article. I can access the TCM but when I tried to do the kick down for the TCM and the engine I could not do it this time it just said no data and N/A. It worked a week ago when I did it so idk. This car was in horrible shape when I got. The previous owners clearly did not know what they were doing. It was a horror show. I will look into the TCM. Is there any diagnostic's I can do with the TCM? Also when I look at the coding it reads 00000 I changed it to 00012 and when I looked at it again it read 00000 so maybe it is malfunctioning. I have a Bentley manual but its not very helpful its pretty vague.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
2nd Gear

If it can't communicated with the TCM....that could be bad.

However, if you don't have the 'right' code, it may not take it, but it should. It turns out there are a number of different transmissions specified in the manual with significantly different Tip control details. It appears there are two major differences in the software, aside from minor 'versioning' changes between motors/model years. Measuring blocks are almost completely different......so maybe your tcm reset due to moisture, and now you have to find the correct code for your vehicle.....

00000 is the standard, default code according to the links below. And it takes time for the TCM to relearn. I'd take the TCM out, open it up, and look for corrosion and/or rust etc...

read this VW thread completely: Automatic transmission coding - shift points - TDIClub Forums

Here's another one: Auto Trans tweak! - TDIClub Forums

it seems finding the codes for TCMs is quite difficult....remember, recoding your trans could screw it up....I'm more of a clutch guy myself....

Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM
2nd Gear

Send me a PM with your email address, I have SOME of the shop manual for the Tranny's, let me know what trans you have. The part I'm missing is the chapter on the codes for specific models....but if you want them, I can email them to you.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Seeing as my TCM wont take a coding change or do the kick down im leaning towards replacing the TCM. Is there something I can do to know it is acting up?