Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 problems, time to upgrade to S4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Default A4 problems, time to upgrade to S4?

I've got my A4 in the shop right now, with an engine knock, (78,000 miles). I'm preparing myself for the worst and did some research and my 2003 doesn't have much blue book value, and buying a used engine with probably comparable mileage is going to run me $4000, plus computers and sensors, probably another 2 grand and the labor. Then I'm counting on atleast another $3000 for that looming turbo change and timing belt/water pump. I doubt the turbo will be replace if the engine is used. I just had the water pump/timing belt done two months ago too. So this could easily go over $10,000, and I feel like I would be back where I started with a 7 year old car at 80,000 on the frame/tranny/suspension etc.

So the question is: I feel an Audi is built to last, I'm hoping I just got a bad one, I have two options, buy a brand new A4 or a used S4 in the 50,000 mile range. I would love to find myself behind the wheel of that S4, but I also don't want to find myself at my mechanics dealing with the same issues I have had with my A4 that I got with 65,000 miles. (Rack/pinion leaking power steering fluid, new rear shocks, front axels, and one wheel bearing). So is the S4 built to last? I think it should be tougher than the A4, but what does someone who knows think?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Default Check your dealer for responsibility

My 2003 1.8T was starting to give me worries until I learned about Audi unwritten rule of scheduled maintanence. My car has 110,000 KMS and no longer is under warranty so I am concerned when something doesnt seem healthy with my car. Last week I was driving home and was 1 block from my house when my oil light came on and was beeping and flashing. I put it in my garage right away and never started it again, things going through my head was a possible oil leak but I checked the stick and the oil level was perfect. The other things I figured may either be oil pump malfunction or oil level sensor. To be sure I had my car towed to my dealership where they have always done the scheduled maintanence on the car. After being at Audi for 5 days and a bill of $1,100, Audi told me that they will be covering the whole bill. The problem was oil sludging and because I had never missed any maintanence appts there wasn't anything I could have possibly done to avoid this so therefore Audi took responsibilty. Check with your dealership, you could be suprised as to what they may do for you.

Good Luck.