Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi 80 oil light and tachometer problem

Old 11-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Default Audi 80 oil light and tachometer problem

Hi to all,

I just bought a second hand car - a manual 1993 Audi 80 2.0i S2, on the grounds that it would be a pretty reliable vehicle. I've had it a week, however, and something has started to unnerve me a bit that I never noticed when I test drove it.
Having driven the car for a while, especially after being in traffic and when the engine is hot, the oil warning light will come on for about 4 or 5 seconds then goes off. Immediately afterward the tachometer will drop to zero and continue to flicker up and down intermittently. The oil light doesn't come back on, however, and there is no difference in the way the car drives, the engine sounds fine, there's no clanking or anything and the oil level is where it should be... it seems really weird. The only other thing a mechanic friend of mine noticed was a pinging from the alternator at low revs - only audible when the hood's up - which he reckons is the bearings - don't know whether the three things are connected... or if anyone has got an idea about what it could be. I'm wondering if, bar the alternator, it's an electrical fault. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Old 11-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Default RE: Audi 80 oil light and tachometer problem

Note to Mods: I moved this post to this forum temp b/c it needs the expertiece of the A4 crowd b/c this forum is the most visited forum and somebody should be able to help this member.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:24 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Audi 80 oil light and tachometer problem

The immediate worry is oil pressure. Have your mechanic friend check the pressure to make sure it is adequate.

Anything else can wait.