Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi a4 blower fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 03:14 AM
1st Gear
Default audi a4 blower fan problem

In my 1996 a4, when i turn the ac/heater fan on more than 2 bars in speed it make this weird noise, something like the fan touching some plastic, so i have to always keep it on 2 bars and cant increase the fan speed because of that annoying noise, is there anyway i can diagnose this problem myself, I assume its the blower fan blades touching the plastic and it prolly misaligned, what do u guys think

input will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
preyash

Old 11-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Default RE: Audi a4 blower fan problem

just sorted mine yesterday with same problem I had to remove the wipers/ plastic cover below the windshield and cabin filter to get at the fan ( there was a lot of derby in there dust/ leaves/ bits of old cabin filter ) now running silent, my problem was the motor only had 1 speed and that was fast[:@] very noisy and problem was a blown resistor pack because the fan was sticking at low speed.

I replaced the resistor pack at £32 + VAT ( greedy sods ) and it blew again next fix was easy because I found out it was only a heat sink that blew 75 pence at Maplin electronics,

next time anyone fan only blows air at one speed change the heat sink before you waste money on a complete unit ( don't solder it in because the heat from the solder will blow it ) just crimp the wires in place - the A4 resistor pack is a whelping £60 + VAT when all you need is a 75 pence heat sink so its worth remembering this in the future and not just for the A4 its for all cars

Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 AM
JB5
1st Gear

does anyone know where this resistor is? im having the exact same issue.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up A4 blower fan makes noise when turned up above 2 bars

I found my old A4 car fan to have a couple of blades cracked and the plastic tunnel in front of the fan was black burnts where it was touching/rubbing the fan spinning......when I finally removed it after removing the glove box! Basically the blades moved out of place the faster the fan went! UK car

main problem before removing it was there were a couple of bolts holding in the passinger air bag that had to be removed to get to it.

Simple 3 philps heads holding it in place.

hold new fan in place and test before fully fitting. £35-£40 from breaker yard
I ended up cutting away some of the plastic tunneling before fitting the new fan but this cut the performance of the air a little.

I hope this helps

Last edited by CrazyA4; 08-29-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 AM

I have the same issue.. What audi a4 parts do I need to replace? Thanks. The mechanic told me that the fan needed replacement. But after he replaced it, the same thing occurs.

Last edited by mikeross; 09-13-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

Might not be the same issue then (?) though the 1st time I fitted mine with new fan, the fan still made a noise i had no problems when holding the new one in place to test but after the 3 screws were tighen the problem happened again.hence why i had to cut some of the pipe inside where it fits into.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by techbod
just sorted mine yesterday with same problem I had to remove the wipers/ plastic cover below the windshield and cabin filter to get at the fan ( there was a lot of derby in there dust/ leaves/ bits of old cabin filter ) now running silent, my problem was the motor only had 1 speed and that was fast[:@] very noisy and problem was a blown resistor pack because the fan was sticking at low speed.

I replaced the resistor pack at £32 + VAT ( greedy sods ) and it blew again next fix was easy because I found out it was only a heat sink that blew 75 pence at Maplin electronics,

next time anyone fan only blows air at one speed change the heat sink before you waste money on a complete unit ( don't solder it in because the heat from the solder will blow it ) just crimp the wires in place - the A4 resistor pack is a whelping £60 + VAT when all you need is a 75 pence heat sink so its worth remembering this in the future and not just for the A4 its for all cars
Hi

I have the blower speed problem on my Audi A3 1996, can you help me and tell me what a heat sink is, and where it is located, I have no idea how to locate/access the fan resistor but am pretty good at these things so was going to buy one together with a haynes manual to fix but like you say they are over £30.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Simon