Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bi xenon for regualr lights and converter the other to DRL

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM
5th Gear
Default bi xenon for regualr lights and converter the other to DRL

ok i got another weird HID question. can i get the bi xenon for my car and hardwire the highbeam for DRL? the reason im wondering is because my insurance is killing me and i kno DRLs lower it.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: bi xenon for regualr lights and converter the other to DRL

ORIGINAL: hiwords

ok i got another weird HID question. can i get the bi xenon for my car and hardwire the highbeam for DRL? the reason im wondering is because my insurance is killing me and i kno DRLs lower it.
Why would you want the higbeam as the DRL? The low beam is enough. It's not for you to see any better, it's for other people to see you. If you have fogs I'd recommend using those instead. It shouldn't be too hard to get DRL because they were required in Canada right? Is it just a simple code you put into the ECU or is it how it's wired?

Old 09-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

I think you can do it via VagCom - it's a feature that can be turned on or off. DRLs use the highbeams at something like 80% power. You could wire the fogs to do it quite easily though, and it's still a DRL setup since they'd come on when you started the car. Personally, that's how I'd do it if I were you. There are other things you can do for a discount too - I know that my insurance company (state farm) gives a 10% break on the rate if you have a 3.0 or better (or somewhere around that GPA). You can take a defensive driving class and remove up to four points from your license and get a 10% break as well, and an accident-prevention course is a further disount. I think DRLs are only a 3-5% drop, not very much. For me ($880/year for top of the line full coverage) that'd equate to a break of $26-44 per year - not exactly a huge difference. But do that, plus the courses and the GPA discount, and you can save some real money. Also consider increasing your deductible if you can afford to do so, or dropping some coverage that you already have (maybe comprehensive isn't worth it at this point in the car's life?) - those things can save you significant money, moreso than the DRLs. Also, make sure your insurance company knows and credits you for having airbags, ABS, and an alarm system - those all give you discounts too, and they may not automatically apply them - you might have to tell them. As a final thought, shop around at different insurance carriers - you may find that someone else will insure you for a decent amount less (although with the horror stories I've heard, I'd avoid Geico no matter what quote they give you). For me, State Farm has been great for the entire 11 years I've been with them - I have zero complaints and will happily stay with them (and no, I don't work for them lol) for my cars and my house.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 PM
2nd Gear

if you know anybody with vag-com or shadetree software you can change the country code to 4, which is canada and then you will have drl's. they will be on all the time without the use of a switch. plus you could always change it back if you use vag-com or shade tree.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:26 PM
5th Gear

o sweet $hit. but too bad i don't kno anybody around here with vagcom. but that's def better than my idea lol ty guys