Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost guage and pod

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Boost guage and pod

I considered that vent, but that keeps my drivers window from fogging up. I tested driving with it covered in the fall months and my window fogged bad. I was not even sure if it would fit. If you just want something non-intrusive, buy an A-pillar pod and mount the gauge there. They are cheap, and while its on there you can figure a better solution.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

I'm reluctant about A-pillar pods for two reasons.
1. The A-pillar airbag.
2. A-pillar gauges look a bit ricey.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear

I do like the center vent gauge best. I don't think it's perfect, but it is the best of all the choices.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:49 PM

I completely agree with imolas4; the A-piller gauges do look ricey. But to each his own.
Anyways to answer imolas4 question "What do you do with it?" This is a direct quote out of the instruction manual.

"The SUPER AFC II is a fuel adjustment controller in which the airflow sensor signal or the pressure sensor can be modifies in a 12 point RPM range by 1% increments to increase/decrease fuel in a range of +50% to -50%. The RPM to be corrected can be optionally set in 200 RPM increments, and corrections can be made according to throttle opening amounts. In a turbo equipped vehicle with a hot wire type airflow meter, this controller provides a preventive function for engine stall due to blow-back during throttle return. The controller, which includes a knocking meter, allows the monitoring of knock levels check keeping the engine under its optimum condition at all times."

I know that might be hard to follow but; basically, it allows me to tell the MAF that there is less air flowing through it than there really is. (i can run more boost than the factory stock setting without the engine stalling. I now run 17 psi, the max the computer will ever allow is 15, I believe.) Now on the fuel side; The "tricker" also allows me to tell the computer to put more fuel into the cylinders, because the computer is being told there is a fuel deficiency. This helps to eliminate fuel cut.
Also it gives me several types of information, (Airflow usage ratio, Intake pressure, Karman sesor frequency*, Thorttle opening, Engine RPM, Air correction factor, Knocking level, Battery voltage) in several different display methods. First is the numeric display/analog display; which displays information in: real-time, peak hold, 60 sec replay function and pause. Second is the graphic display; which displays the same information (real-time, peak hold, 60 sec replay) but in graph form. The last display method is Digital/analog display. (this display is really hard to explain. it almost looks like your diagraming a sentence for english class.) anyways thats the "short version" of what this machine does. sorry about all that rambling, especially since this post has absolutly nothing to do with the original question. Sorry

Old 07-28-2004, 01:16 AM

Kind of Konfusing?

Old 07-28-2004, 01:17 AM
3rd Gear

Sounds interesting but, if I read your description correctly, you'll be constantly running rich. If the MAF thinks less air is going through and yet you still tell the ecu to increase fuel, then how do you keep from running rich?

Old 07-28-2004, 01:29 AM

I don't know! Let me ask this ultra complecated peice of equipment. j/k the s-afc detects boost pressure and has a self-learning mode which adjusts the fuel to suite the boost. more boost = more fuel.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:30 AM

BTW thanx for your help on that entire picture thing. thats my car. Yea!

Old 07-28-2004, 02:05 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah! The avatar looks good!