Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat fell apart!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Cat fell apart!!!!

i just recently instaled a hyperboost DV and it sounds great. I was driving to my friends place today, everything sounding good running very well, normal speeds (no speeding) and I came arround a upwards swooping right hand 120 degree corner at arround 30 i guess and comming out of it i started to hear my car turn into a DIESEL! I pulled over and shut it off. i poped the hood and looked arround not realizing what i was looking for then finally i saw it, imagine looking down between the intake and the engine at the intake, looking at the turbo and cat. then think of where the thickest part of the cat clostest to the turbo starts to become smaller and smaller until it hits the flange where the turbo bolts onto the cat. now picture right before the flange (on the cat) the cat hanging about 2 inches away from the flange that is still atached to the turbo! i guess the welds broke or something... i have noidea what i should do, i am only 18 and still a senior in HS so money wise i am not very flexable. how cheap can i get a new cat or do you think this current one can be repaired. also has anyone with a B5 1.8T recently changed their cat to a sport cat or straight pipe and they do not need theirs any longer and would sell it to me? any advise would be extremly helpfull thanks

alex

Old 11-30-2005, 09:04 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Cat fell apart!!!!

It just happened to me man not even two weeks ago. My mechanic told me he couldn't repair the cat so I got a Milltek High Flow cat from a local member for $400. I think there is companies that make cheaper ones also. If you can find somebody to repair your old cat it'd be good but depends on how many miles there are in it. If there is over 100K in my opinion don't bother fixing it.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear

that seems high for a cat. when i get some money to do my custum exhaust i am going to buy my stuff from this site

Old 12-02-2005, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

Man that EXACT same thing happened to me too and I got a mechanic to weld it back on for me. He had a really tough time and it ended up costing like $400 if I remember correctly. I didn't realize it at the time b/c I was new to Audis but I could've got a new cat for less. You can get a LaBree for like $250 and probably install it yourself.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear

get the labree and then when you start the install, remember to slit your wrists so you die before you are finished.. ( you'll want to...)

nah man, j/k...dont do that, but the labree is a thumbs up. umm......how does that high flow dealie do for emissions?[sm=insomnia.gif]