Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine cutting in/out, loss of power, computer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
1st Gear
Default engine cutting in/out, loss of power, computer?

Hi,

recently my Audi has had problems, when I put my foot down when in low reves, the car jerks (power cuts in out violently)when trying to go into higher revs. Sometimes tho if I put my foot down very gradually it is able to get into the higher revs without the jerking, but it feels like the car has definately lost power (sort of like it was before I got it chipped). the car also runs rough at idle especially if the airconditioning is on the car can totally die. Also might be related, the windows sometimes go down a bit when I unlock the car-weird, I do have an aftermarket alarm fitted though.

Two things I suspect might have to do with it is that around this time, the battery went flat, and also I got some water under the bonnet when doing some cleaning? Anyone know whats happening?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:28 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: engine cutting in/out, loss of power, computer?

try to do throttle body cleaning and then alignment, make sure your air filter ok, do u have a boost gauge? howā€™s your boost? not sureā€¦ i would check for air leaks, but first see if you have any codes this is where you should start

Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 AM
5th Gear

did u buy the car used? the person b4 u may have programmed the remote to do that with vagcom. as for the jerking, check plugs, coil, get a charging system check and a battery check at like autozone or advanced, have u ever changed ur fuel filter?, seafoam ur car, and do evrythig sactown said

Old 09-14-2007, 05:45 AM
1st Gear

cheers, thanks all for response. I took the car to the mechanic today turns out the the throttle position is stored in memory, and when the battery was disconeected it forget where the the throttle position was. The mechanic hookedcar up to his computer thing and set the throttle position, works all good now. At first the mechanic thought it may have hadblown coil, but that wasn't it. So beware if your battery goes flat.

Also the windows are fine now, maybe it was bit of water affecting alarm - or when the battery went flat.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 AM

just FYI, that's what vlad was talking about when he mentioned the throttle body alignment.

good to hear it's running well again.