Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Problem !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Default Gearbox Problem !!!

Hi There,

I have an end 2002 B6 A4 1.8 Turbo multitronic/tiptronic ride which has served me very well over the last 3 years. However, 6 months ago, the car started to thump everytime it moved off from standstill. As days go by, the problem got worst. the thump/jerk got more prominent and more forceful.

I have sent the car in to the authorised distributor workshop. The VAGCOM has been used to scan for fault codes. But guess what ??? NO FAULT CODE !!!

So what can be the problem ??

My ride will always thump before moving off from stationary. If the gas pedal has been released before 10km/hr or below, and upon applying pressure on the gas pedal again, the jerk will come back before the car accelerates normally. I will always have to apply the gas pressure gently or else the jerk will be horrendous - as if the car has been knocked from behind.

When 1st gear has been engaged and upon letting the handbrake, the car would either remain stationary or just crawl forward very slowly. (It used to moved off quite instantenously)

The car would also roll back on a gentle slope. (It used to be able to remain still or even continue to move upwards depending on the gradient of the slope)

It seemed to me there is a lost in pressure within the gearbox itself. The pressure build-up does not correspond to the gas pressure applied. The car will just surged forward suddenly when the pressure 'returns' and it appreared to me that clutch plates just rubbed onto one another abruptly when in contact as the pressure regains.

Also, just when the car moves off from stationary, you will have to let the car roll forward by itself before stepping onto the gas pedal gradually/lightly, otherwise, the thump will be more severe.

Sometimes when the gas pedal is depressed gradually moving off from a standstill (say travelling at less than 10km/hr), the speed of the car will remain the same whilst the techometer needle will increase its rpm. When it reaches a point of 'equilabrium' .. the car will thump again before the car speed increases and the rev drops. Everytime will be back to normal for subsequent higher gear shift.

The strange thing is that the jerk will only take place on the 1st jerk itself. Subsequent gear shift is smooth.

For your info, I have already replaced the entire input shaft assembly, but it did not help a wee bit.

I don't know if its all a coincidence, but this problem only came in a week after I have got the alternator replaced. I was driving when the entire car electronics just shut on me. I later found out that the alternator was faulty and the battery wasn't charged up whilst on the move. The car just stored - engine shut and I have got a hard time bringing the car to a complete stop since the brakes seemed very stiff after that. Could this have blown the gearbox away since there wasn't any flow of the ATF within the gearbox since the electronics went dead ?

The funny thing here is that after all these months of uncomfortable driving, the car spring back to life again 2 weeks ago - the car becomes responsive again, no more thump/jerk. The car will moved off instantenously upon engaging 1st gear and releasing handbrake. The car will not roll back on a steep slope (even when the gas and brake pedal has not been depressed) But all these good feel driving only lasted for 4 days. It just reverted back to its problematic condition gradually - first with rolling back on a slope, then the car will stop moving forward when gear has been engaged to move off from standstill. Then in the end, the car will start to thump/jerk when moving off. All these transistion takes place all within a day. STRANGE !!!

So can anyone here gives me some pointers as to where the possible fault lies in. Changing a brand new gearbox is way too costly.

Appreciate all inputs.

Cheers

Old 11-06-2006, 01:39 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Gearbox Problem !!!

I'm having a hard time decideing if its a software problem or the actual trany. Unfortuanly, I'm gonna have to vote for the dealler. Is it still under warrenty. I'm guessing not. Good luck thou.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Gearbox Problem !!!

Did you check the transmission fluid level? If it's low, it can cause problems similar to this. Not to mention you'll wreck the tranny.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Default definitely a fluid problem, ive seen it happen before

happened on my sister's e36 325 and also on my buddy's b5 a4 tip. change the filter and gaskets on your tranny reservoirs and top off in synthetic tranny fluid.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:03 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: definitely a fluid problem, ive seen it happen before

try doing some regular schedualed tranny maitnance, if that doesnt work, see if you can reflash the tip programming back to stock at the dealer...

and if THAT doesnt work, i'd have them look at the valve body on the tranny and see if its bad...

but first change the gasgets, top off the fluid and change the filter.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Default RE: definitely a fluid problem, ive seen it happen before

Hi There,
Appreciate all your valuable inputs.

All the above suggestions have already been done already, but still it didn't help a wee bit.

Other possibilities ??

Cheers mate

Old 08-07-2008, 04:58 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Multitronic gearbox

Hi there, new here.

I bought a 2003 A6 1.9TDI Multitronic sport about three weeks ago and have noticed all of the issues described too. As I had nothing to compare to, I did a little research to see if it was normal or not (never drove an automatic before).

I read (see links at bottom) online that multitronic is different to tiptronic in that the multitronic version has better fuel economy and smoother shifting through CVT technology. CVT doesn't have creep (positive drive) but the Audi multitronic system has a little built in, just not enough for steep hills.

Another post said that multitronic has a delay in engaging transmission when shifting from P/R to D - I guess if you apply revs before the transmission catches, there will be jerky acceleration from a standstill.

Worth noting, the manual advises that you should wait until you feel the transmission engage before pressing the accelerator after switching from P/R to D. The manual also warns about the creep issue suggesting handbrake usage on steep inclines. See the multitronic pages of the automatic gearbox section.

I find that if I shift from P, R or N to D – I have to wait for the transmission to engage; otherwise I get that jerk or jolt from the back of the car. If I am in D with the brake pedal pressed and then immediately kick down the accelerator – there is no jerky behaviour but there is a slight delay before the engine revs up proper (probably something to do with the turbo). If I am creeping in D (with foot off brake pedal) and then kick down the accelerator, there is a slight jolt but nowhere near as harsh as when I shift into D from P, R, or N.

The fact that your one used to be smooth makes me think that maybe I do have a problem after all? Is yours jerky as above or is the harsh jolt there in all cases?

Regards

http://www.fastautosales.com/cars/reviews/audi_a6

http://www.autotrader.co.nz/View/Art...1&N=4294967231)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...93692&f=86&h=0