Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guys, I need some knowledge sharing....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:21 AM
1st Gear
Default guys, I need some knowledge sharing....

Hello, its been a while since my last post, and im here again because I need some input on my situation....

Ok... last Friday I stood in line about 2 hours[:@] at the border crossing back to USA, the car did not overheat, at least the gaugue didnt register more than normal temp.

So after finally crossing, I stopped at the gas station, and I noticed a weird oil smell, and after looking under the car, it was leaking redish/kind of yellowoil.... from the drivers front side[:@],so not being able to check the ATF oil level I moved it to the nearest safe place, it stood there for a while.....

After like 30 min, it took it home, no apparent tranny problems.

So the next day I looked at the power steering oil, and it was gone! so i filled it up, and it has not leaked again..! ??[&:]

So my question is, what could have caused this?? car is not overheating, no PS problems, and no tranny problems.... (A/C was on most of the time)

1997 A4 1.8T FWD.....

Any ideas???

Old 06-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: guys, I need some knowledge sharing....

Have you gotten underneath the car to look for where the leak may had come from exactly before?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

yes, I have looked in detail to where it comes from, it was leaking and still stained from the tie rod at the drivers side, it seemed to be leaking torwards the tire, not inside the engine compartment.....

definitely was not leaking from the PS hoses........

Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah thats strange cuz tie rods dont leak... Any way you can post a pic?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

umm, yeah, I'll go take one, but i doubt we can see anything, cause its not leaking anymore.... and no damage is visible, what exactly do i take the pic of??

Old 06-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Site Moderator

I dont know man, dont worry about it.. Just keep an eye on your fluids. I dont know how much help anyone can be if everything is back to normal. Did you look at the inner tie rod that comes out of the steering rack for leakage?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

No prob, I appreciate any help or input...

To answer the last question, I cant see that deep in, but I dont see any leak under the car, or any PS fluid shortage... so I think ill just take it to the dealer to further inspect.... im lost here....

Ill come back to post after final veredict...

Thanks!!!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Site Moderator

Taking it to the dealer is hardly ever the best solution. With some pics and detailed descriptions from you about whats going on will usually getyou good help from us andend up saving you a ton. If that doesnt work, at least find a trusting independant mechanic. Try this though- With the engine on, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and hold it there for a minute, and to the same turning it to the left, then check your fluid level and ground for leaks. It might only leak when turned one way or the otherto the extreme.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: madorc

So the next day I looked at the power steering oil, and it was gone! so i filled it up, and it has not leaked again..! ??[&:]

Any ideas???
Well, that seems like the problem. I dont know why it leaked, but if all the fluid was gone, the location of the leak is righht where the PS resevoir is, so, you may want to keep an eye on that, see if any of the hose clamps need tightend or anything.
Kind of strange though.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

Well, that seems like the problem. I dont know why it leaked, but if all the fluid was gone, the location of the leak is right where the PS resevoir is, so, you may want to keep an eye on that, see if any of the hose clamps need tightend or anything.
Kind of strange though.
Took the words right out of my mouth Acetrebo.

Quick Reply: guys, I need some knowledge sharing....