Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Car won't start *UPDATE VAG READING*

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear
Default HELP!! Car won't start *UPDATE VAG READING*

Perfect way to start out a monay morning[:@] Last night I did the boost leak DIY from AG and a4mods.com. I hooked it all up and then I ran out of air so I figured I would do more with it tonight. All I heard was a girgling sound coming from that back of the engine when I hooked everything up and applied 10lbs of pressure. Now this morning when I try to start my car it will fire and then acts like its flooded, sputters and then dies. if I hold the gas down I can get it to run for maybe a couple of seconds then it dies. Any Idea's?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP!! Car won't start

that was happening to me actually my car is in the mecanic... but my car had alot of problems ... MAF .. Cat... and o2 sensor...

most my MAF

Old 04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: HELP!! Car won't start

I would love to vag the car right now but my wife has our laptop and won't be back until tomorrow afternoon. I was thinking that it might have something to do with the MAF. I'll try to disconnect it tonight and see if I can start it then. someone want to give me a diagram of which sensor to unplug.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: HELP!! Car won't start *UPDATE VAG READING*

Wife came home early so after we got done I grabbed the laptop and headed down to the car. I vagged it and I got two codes

18010 - p1602 - Power Supply (b+) Termnal 30 Low Voltage
18021 - p1613 - MIL Call-up Circ./Transm.Contr.Module Short to Ground

After that I Took the MAF out and what do ya know the car runs just fine without it hooked up. I love this feeling of figuring something out yourself.

Two questions
#1 how do I clean the MAF - I've heard to us Isopropyl alcohol, do I just dip the end of the sensor in the alcohol? do I totally imerse the whole unit? Is there some kind of MAF cleaner or could I use spray contact cleaner? just let it air dry?

#2 From the VAG codes above are there anyother things that might be bad.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

- i heard not sure man.. go to pep boys they sell a spray thing i think its gray in the outside and it will clean your MAF ....... not sure the name ill try to get the name for you .. told you was the maf =D

Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 AM
Zombie Defense Force

some kind of eletrical spray cleaner for the maf.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear

Future reference for people searching
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR MAF
#1 Uninstall it Click HERE and download the step by step word file (<direct link to work file)
#2 you will need a "safety" Torx T20 to get the sensor out of the housing - basically its a torx bit with a hole in the center of it - other options include a pliers. I was lucky enough to had just purchased tools to do my TB and the Torx sockets that I have purchased were safety torx.
#3 To clean the MAF you have two options
1- buy some alcohol (no not that kind) get the highest % you can find like 99% - put the MAF into a plastic zip lock bag and pour some alcohol in (yes you can cover the whole unit). shake it around leave it overnight - take it out let it dry at least 24 hours before your reinstall

2 - go to a auto-store and pick up some CRC MAF cleaner - spray the sensor down with the cleaner and let it dry for 30 min (5 min is most likely enough but I'm not taking any chances) reinstall it and your set.

If this doesn't fix your problem then you most likely need a new MAF - go to ECStuning.com
I'll do a full DIY tonight if I have time and ask that it be put in the DIY section - seems like there are a lot of people looking for help with the MAF and everyone is just telling them to search.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:40 PM
3rd Gear

Ran by NAPA last night and picked up some CRC MAF cleaner - cleaned it - put it back in and car would not start - unplugged it again and the car runs. So I just ordered a new MAF from Purems.com for $140w/s hope this fixes it.