Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Oil cooler coolant line leaks, Tried new clamps, don't stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 01:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Help! Oil cooler coolant line leaks, Tried new clamps, don't stop

Okay, 1998 audi a4 4wd, 2.8 v6 model (not the "all the room in the world" 4banger)

The coolant line leaks where it meets the oil cooler. I've tried putting new clamps on them, the screw type clamps you get at autozone/homedepot, they should seal stronger then the spring type ones. After 3hours I got the old clamps off and lines off cooler, another 2hours I get the new clamps tightened on the lines. Pour in water, and it leaks 10times as fast now, a nice fast drip to a thin stream.

I have seen the DIY on it, and it looks so dang easy, because it's on a 4banger, but on a v6 it's in such a tight sqeeze! I had to remove my oil filter to get just a tiny bit of extra space, which made me do a oil change, then one of the stupid lines was only 2inchs long!!! 2inchs plus it makes a 90degrees turn!!! I don't know how on earth you guys with a v6 do it, there is like no room at all!

I'm giving up on this unless someone has a quick and easy DIY for a V6 version.

I'm at the give up point, and want to know how much would a normal shop charge to fix this? They will probably have to replace the lines maybe, since they probably are kind of beat up, and new clamps ofcourse, and a complete coolant flush. Hoping this isn't going to be one of those bend over and get ready for 500dollars!

Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help! Oil cooler coolant line leaks, Tried new clamps, don't stop

Also, just thought about removing the oil cooler. How hard is it to remove the oil filter, and will standard heaterhose line from home depot work as a replacement for the hose?

Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 AM
2nd Gear

Was the ports on the oil cooler where the hoses went onto all caked with dried up coolant? If so did you clean it off, when i did mine there was a total build up of crap there and the seal would not have been good which is why it probablly started leaking in the first place. I cleaned the ports with a battery terminal cleaner the wire one, wire brush and a dremel with a little wire wheel to get all the stuburn spots.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:33 AM
1st Gear

yeah, that was probably the problem, but there's no way I can actually clean it , there's no room what so ever, plus I think i beated up the short 2inch hose a bit to much. The only way I can see myself doing this is if I take off the oil cooler, is this hard?

If so, my only choice is to bring it to a shop, how much do you think a shop will charge to fix it?

Old 11-09-2005, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

up need help bad

Old 11-10-2005, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

someone must know

Old 11-10-2005, 02:30 AM
3rd Gear

The oil cooler is easy to remove from the block. When you take off the oil filter there is a big 24mm nut there. Remove that nut and the oil cooler slides right off. Replace the o ring on the back of the cooler to be safe.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dankhound

The oil cooler is easy to remove from the block. When you take off the oil filter there is a big 24mm nut there. Remove that nut and the oil cooler slides right off. Replace the o ring on the back of the cooler to be safe.
I don't think my oil cooler even connects to my block, it connects to the oil pan. Anywho, where do I get the o-ring.

Also, can I just go get heater hose from homedepot to replace the coolant line that is about 2inches? Also what size is the hose, 3/8inch?