Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID issue - Please shed some light!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy HID issue - Please shed some light!

Hey everyone,

I've spent over 2 weeks (ever since I received my order) trying to get my Morimoto Elite HID System 3Five (35w, can-bus, H7) working properly without ABS, ESP, Anti-lock brakes error lights.

I have been in contact with TheRetroFitSource, the distributors whom I ordered from, to find a solutions to this very frustrating issue. Their customer service is prompt and polite, but we have yet to find a solution.

I have searched all forums for solutions and applied them all without luck, well almost all.

What I've gathered through my research and applied:

-mounting the ballasts as far away from the ABS module as possible
-grounding the ballast (driver side only, should I do both sides?)
-grounding the can-bus harness (driver side only, should I do both sides?)
-splicing the brown wire on the headlight housing connector and grounding that (driver side)
-turning lights on before engine start
-from engine on, turning lights off before turning off engine

What does work for me is: turning ignition on, lights on, then both off and both on and off again, then finally on. The third time the dash will not show any errors where I can start the engine then, though there is some radio interference (which I don't mind).

So my questions are:

Does turning the ignition on and off 3 times rapidly to get the HID lights working have any negative effects on any other components which are turned on along with ignition? I am very concern this process may damage more expensive electronic components.

Secondly, are there any other possible solutions I can try to get these beautiful HIDs working error free?

Please shed some light into this issue as I would hate to resort to using the old dimmer halogens.

It's a 2004 Audi A4.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Last edited by matttran; 11-11-2013 at 01:38 AM.