Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm stumped...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 09:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default I'm stumped...

Well, I got my car back from the dealer on Friday for the wheel bearing and cam seals. Apparently, my tining was a tooth off from when the timing belt was done last. That's about 25,000 ago and the car was running fine, until the dealer got a hold of it. Now when I accelerate at full throttle the engine cuts out between about 3000 and 3500 rpm. The VAG-COM returned a code of a cylinder 3 missfire, so they replaced the coil for cylinder 3. As soon as I took it out, I noticed that the idle bounced and it still cuts out on full throttle acceleration. I have to take it back tomorrow, but they are clueless as to what could be wrong. So am I. Got any ideas? I'm inclined to think they timing may have been right before they changed it and now it's off a tooth instead of being correct now and off before I took it in. I'm stumped.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:02 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I'm stumped...

Addendum, I pulled the plugout to see if any of them were fouled, and they were all fine. They're iridium, and only about 5,000 miles old. Tomorrow I'm going to demand that they let me back into the bay to see what they are doing. Not trying to incinuate I know more than these guys, but I can hold my own on my 2000 A4tq ATW for sure. What would have been the ultimate would have been if my Ross-Tech software had arrivied today, then I could have figured this uot snd save the 1 1/2 round trip tomorrow. Damn it, that trip is inevedibe. Somene in Indy, PLEASE, LETS UT TOGETHER A SHOP AND PARTS STORE FOR Audi, Bimm, Benz, Saab, Lambo, Ferrarri, vettre, lotus, porsche and land rover!!!!!! I'm in, who else is interested? There is nothing down here mon the southside tha could collecte all thr high end mototrs around our area. There is a blackhole righy now. I'm working on soething that would get this shp bach towards where it needs to be.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:27 AM
2nd Gear

Well, here's another possibility. Could I have a bad injector(s) or fuel pump? It just does this cut out thing between 3k - 35k and then it'ss fine. Almost feels like vapor lock in the old fuel systems where the engine just hesitates for s split sec and then boom.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:53 AM
3rd Gear

Most of the time its somthing simple and can be resolved by using deductive logic...

OK car goes in for wheel bearings and cam seal neither of which would cause that prob... car worked fine before they fucked with it.
Id say the most likely culprit is the timing. although one tooth off I wouldnt think would be that notice able but maybe because the way the timing is setup in the 1.8T it would.

The only other solution I can see is that they broke something during the repair. it seems like too much of a coincidence.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, that's what I thought. Too much of a coincidence. Of course they are saying it's not their problem so they expect me to pay for the repair and the rental for another day. Bullshit. I thought tonight I'd take the throttle body off and see if it's dirty. It's definitely not as bad as it was before the coil was replaced Monday, but it's still there.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:11 PM
2nd Gear

It's also hunting at idle. It bounces periodically, but not all the time. The car was running perfectly before it went in, now I'm in a world of hurt. Makes me mad.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:09 AM

Hey Jay, does your rpms drop to about 500 then it bounces up to 900 then falls to 750 then stabelizes at 900? does this only happen when you hit the clutch and the rpm drops fast? i had the same problem.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

David, doesn't seem to matter whether the clutch is in or out. I thought about the throw-out bearing, but that's new. It does exactly what you described as far as the rpm bounce. What did your's end up being?

Old 09-01-2004, 05:04 PM

I dont know. It just goes away after a day, and comes back as soon as i start to mess with the engine.